African cichlids tank stocking ideas

Tacocat

I'm planning to create an African cichlid tank that will be either 125 or 150 for the living room. I was planning on only getting species that won't get any bigger than 9 inches. I know you can't mix new world and African cichlids but other than that I don't know the compatibility between the different species. I was thinking of only having one per species, that way I hopefully won't have to deal with aggression due to breeding. I really like the different types of peacocks and the electric blue/yellow. I just need some ideas for more and conformation that these fish work with each other

Years ago I knew someone who had a big African cichlid tank and he mentioned that he had hybridization going on.   I really don't know a lot about the various species and whether or not he meant cross breeding.  But he was correct, then that might be something else you have to think about. 

Please keep in mind that I've never kept African cichlids and this is just a random memory.  🙂

I've been keeping African cichlids for a long time and can't reccomend them enough, by far my favorite kind of fish. 

What you're describing is generally known as an all male show tank. They're very popular and in my opinion they're the best way to go for beginners. Just try to avoid getting fish that look very similar in coloring. The other popular method is to pick just a few species that can share the tank. I have a tank with Saulosi, Purple Acei, and Snow whites. Very colorful since Saulosi are different colors depending on sex and the Acei are either light or dark purple depending on sex. This is more for experienced cichlid keepers, as there are many combinations that will not do well together. 

Good luck and happy fish keeping 

• Like 1