Propagation question

Most stem plants can be easily propagated in that manner. Floating plants tend to self-propagate with no help at all. Mosses also self-propagate. Water Sprite (when it's happy) is one of the easiest plants to propagate as you can simply tear off a leaf, float it in your tank and it'll send out baby plants from the edges. Anubias and Java fern are typically propagated by dividing the rhizome. Java fern will also often send out little plantlets on the leaves that can be removed and planted. Plants like vallisneria and sagittaria propagate by runners. If you get some plants that like your conditions you'll end up wondering why people charge so much for them when they're so easy to propagate and you're throwing away lots of them each week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gardenman said:

Most stem plants can be easily propagated in that manner. Floating plants tend to self-propagate with no help at all. Mosses also self-propagate. Water Sprite (when it's happy) is one of the easiest plants to propagate as you can simply tear off a leaf, float it in your tank and it'll send out baby plants from the edges. Anubias and Java fern are typically propagated by dividing the rhizome. Java fern will also often send out little plantlets on the leaves that can be removed and planted. Plants like vallisneria and sagittaria propagate by runners. If you get some plants that like your conditions you'll end up wondering why people charge so much for them when they're so easy to propagate and you're throwing away lots of them each week.

Great summary, but you missed crypts.  Plant one today, wait a few months, pull it up, and divide it into a dozen or so separate plants.

29 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

Great summary, but you missed crypts.  Plant one today, wait a few months, pull it up, and divide it into a dozen or so separate plants.

I just got my first crypts this past week, so I don't have much experience with them yet. I like the sound of that though. They aren't sold in my local fish stores, so I finally broke down and ordered some.