Ideas to tighten up a lid?

Frost

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out how I can use a spare glass lid that I have laying around. It's like the one in the picture I linked, but the plastic backer has long since been discarded.

I'm hoping to find a way to tighten up the lid to prevent jumpers, I was hoping I could buy a new backer somewhere, but you guys are a creative bunch and if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. I think the only thing I'd rule out right away is cling wrap.

IMG_20200811_151418.jpg

41 minutes ago, Robin said:

If you can't figure something out. I bought the plastic backer in approximately 2ft lengths off Amazon.

What did you search to find it? I haven't been able to find it before and I can't think of what to search

1 minute ago, Frost said:

What did you search to find it? I haven't been able to find it before and I can't think of what to search

Perfecto Manufacturing APFBAG028 Marineland Plastic Hood Back Strip Lighting for Aquarium, Large, Clear

Edited by Robin
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

My LFS has spare parts like that. I ended up going to a local glass place and they made a lid to my measurements in about 15 minutes for cheap. They even chamfered the edges.

I'm thinking about getting some glass cut to build a small tank, if that goes well I might get lids custom cut in the future, but for now I'd like to use what I already have

As for an LFS having spares I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask but I'm not too hopeful that mine would

They have spares because they sell used tanks, so they end up with a lot of other second-hand gear. I think most of it comes from former reef-keepers.

I think I paid about $15 for a custom cut glass rectangle for a 16 gallon bow-front tank. I already had the curved portion. I previously had one cut at a local hardware store, but they could not chamfer the glass.

@Frost Not sure how wide your tank is, but I have patched this space in the past by going to Home Depot and buying plastic "No Parking" or "For Sale" signs. They're a few bucks each, and you can "score and snap" them with an x-acto blade or razor blade. They're not clear, but face-down, the white isn't ugly.

They can also be cut with sharp scissors if you need to make holes for tubing and cords. Much easier than big polycarbonate DIY lids.

Looks like a 1" strip, taped to the back of your backer, would do ya. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Smith said:

@Frost Not sure how wide your tank is, but I have patched this space in the past by going to Home Depot and buying plastic "No Parking" or "For Sale" signs. They're a few bucks each, and you can "score and snap" them with an x-acto blade or razor blade. They're not clear, but face-down, the white isn't ugly.

Hey that's not a bad idea... the lid is just for a regular 29 gallon or 20 Long. I want to give it to my dad but first I want to make sure none of his fish will be able to jump out. I doubt cut up signs would bother him, and all his fish are pretty small so that should keep them in if they ever decide to get jumpy.

1 hour ago, Frost said:

Hey that's not a bad idea... the lid is just for a regular 29 gallon or 20 Long. I want to give it to my dad but first I want to make sure none of his fish will be able to jump out. I doubt cut up signs would bother him, and all his fish are pretty small so that should keep them in if they ever decide to get jumpy.

If you want something nicer, you can always use the ribbed polycarbonate windows from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunlite-24-in-x-48-in-x-5-16-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Twinwall-Sheet-174040/305560353

You cut them with a circular saw or table saw or bandsaw, and they're clear enough to pass light through. Downside is you have to buy a 2' x 8' sheet for $30-ish (cheaper in-store than online), so it's cost effective only if you plan to have more than one. I covered six tanks with a single sheet, so it's worth it for me!

I covered my 29 and several 20-longs with them:

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Smith