Algae Cleanup Crew with Pea Puffers?

Hi Friends! 

I suddenly have what I think is brown algae all over everything in my new 10g tank, like overnight. Is there a cleanup crew I can get that would also survive if I get pea puffers? Should I let snails do the work and then just use them to feed the puffers? 

Thank you for the advice! 

Snails and shrimp. Definitely. Let them go nuts on the algae, multiply, and encourage any other volunteer critters like detritus worms that show up. Pea puffers can be hard to get feeding, but with tons of life in the tank their natural hunting instincts will kick in!

• Like 1

@Brandy thank you! I have one bladder snail that appeared in the tank a couple weeks ago and I just keep willing more to show up. Ha! I'll have to go pick up a few tank mates and get them to work in prep for the puffers. Is it a given that absolutely nothing else will survive in the tank with the puffers? (I need to prep myself so I don't get sad when everything disappears!) 

8 hours ago, Jennifer V said:

@Brandy thank you! I have one bladder snail that appeared in the tank a couple weeks ago and I just keep willing more to show up. Ha! I'll have to go pick up a few tank mates and get them to work in prep for the puffers. Is it a given that absolutely nothing else will survive in the tank with the puffers? (I need to prep myself so I don't get sad when everything disappears!) 

Pea puffers are interesting to say the least.  The pea puffer on my desk at work won't eat snails.  He'll eat frozen foods and guppy fry.  My other pea puffer at home will decimate shrimp and snails, but she has never once gone after or nipped any other fish once I put her in a community tank.  I first discovered this with her once I tried to feed her guppy fry and found she had no interest in other fish.