Cabomba care.

luka

Got some today at my LFS, it had caught my eye while I was there getting frozen foods. I asked one of the employees what the care requirements for it where and they said medium light stem plant, and that's it. I went onto the internet to find this seemed like NOT IT. The forums I read upon said the plant required medium to high light which I have on the tank and it needed to float? If anyone has had past experiences with this plant I would love to know as much as I can. It's super lush and I would be really sad if it died. 

1 minute ago, Charose said:

pH is 6.6, GH is 7, KH is 1

Mine ~7.8, GH~12, KH~9.  Oh well...

22 hours ago, luka said:

it needed to float?

It certainly can float, it gets more light this way and it grows long roots, so if you cut the stem, the cuttings are easier to plant. Does not look so good though, with extra-long roots all over the plant. 

20 minutes ago, Fonske said:

It certainly can float, it gets more light this way and it grows long roots, so if you cut the stem, the cuttings are easier to plant. Does not look so good though, with extra-long roots all over the plant. 

I have pretty soft water plus my substrate soaks up carbonate. If you want to try a fluffy stem plant that grows extremely well find some limnophila aquatica/indica, it'll take over your entire tank. Cabomba tends to shed leaves and grows a little wonky when you trim it. Limnophila is indestructible in my tank and always looks super vibrant green.

Edited by Charose
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:40 PM, Fonske said:

I have some Cabomba growing in my tank, it was a bit stunted when I got it. But anyway... it’s been recovering and growing in slowly.  I believe the water parameters: ph ~7.8, GH~12, kh~8 last time I checked. I can test when I get home if your interested in the more exact parameters. 
It might not be growing as well as softer water.  But that could also be do to the fact I don’t really use fertilizers and planted in sand. It is not fully established yet, but at the moment they have some new growth and they’re not just wilting. 
So... hopefully they hold in there, but seem to be doing alright in hard water for me. 

On 12/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, Charose said:

Limnophila is indestructible in my tank and always looks super vibrant green.

I might check that one out if my Cabomba doesn’t work out. 

So, check water parameters this morning. Ph 7.8, GH 11, kh 8

And many of the steams are have some roots growing out along them now. Only the one stem being shaded by the Madagascar lace seems like it’s not doing too much. 

Edited by FishyThoughts