Is this Red Pest Disease (Hemorrhagic Septicema)?

kaCampbell

Recently I came across an article about Red Pest Disease, and I couldn't help but think that it caused the death of one of our Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami that we once had. From my understanding, VHS affects a number of species both fresh and salt, but I couldn't find a complete list. Furthermore, I couldn't confirm the Dwarf Gourami as one of the affected species. Much of the information out there for the Dwarf Gourami focuses on the Iridovirus. And while there is considerable overlap between the two diseases, there are some distinctions. 

The Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami in question lived for about six months in a 20-Gallon Long, Planted, Community Tank. This tank was well kept through the use of live plants, sponge filtration, and routine water changes and necessary maintenance.

About a month before passing away, we had noticed that this fish had developed a red patch on one side of its body, up near the dorsal fin. He seemed in good health for some time after that too. If the red patch grew darker in color or larger in size overtime, it would have been minimal. Up until a few days before his passing, he continued to act and behave normally. Then almost overnight he seemed to have made a turn for the worse- lethargic, disinterested in food, staying at the top of the tank, frayed fins, erratic swimming, distended stomach bulging from both sides. At this point and to this day no other fish exhibited any similar symptoms and we have had not experienced any other casualties. 

Based on this information and the images I provided, what does it sound like to you? As I mentioned this happened in the past and I'm just here out of curiosity! 

Thank you in advance. 😊

20201215_150101.jpg

20201215_150051.jpg