Sores on Fish Head. Hole in the Head?

MattyIce

I have 2 female killifish and 1 male, a little over a week ago I started seeing marks on their heads.  the male some times gets white spots that go away and then reappear while the females seem to have crater like sores top middle of their heads.

initially i had them quarantined in the same 10 gallon, though i was worried the male was chasing the females around too much so after a few days i got a 40 gallon and moved them to it, the chasing continued so now i have the females in the 40 and the male in the 10.

initially i had the 10 dosed with prozi pro, when i got the 40 i dosed that, and then when i moved the male to the 10 gallon i dosed that and did a 60% change on the 40 and redosed that.

it been 4 days since I separated them/last dosed with Prozi Pro and it seems to still be getting worse.  I did a large water change today and dosed with melafix. i am thinking about trying Erythromycin next if if the melafix doesn't seem to show improvements in a few days, Though i guess i am not even entirely sure if this is Hole in the Head.

I have a picture of the sore on the male's head below.  Does this look like Hole in the head? am i approaching it correctly? should I be dosing Prozi and Melafix or Ethromycin at the same time?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank You.

_DSC2803.jpg

• Administrators

I would say this doesn't look like any case of hole in the head I have ever seen. I'd start with basics like making sure the water isn't too warm since it's the summer. Then I'd treat for bacterial. 

On 8/2/2020 at 1:06 AM, Cory said:

I would say this doesn't look like any case of hole in the head I have ever seen. I'd start with basics like making sure the water isn't too warm since it's the summer. Then I'd treat for bacterial. 

Thank you for advising that it was not hole in the head. I continued treating with the melafix for a week and they are all looking better.  I am guessing the male was chasing the females around and they injured themselves.  I will keep them separate for now.

_DSC2824.jpg