Constant Heater Running or No?

LiveBearer Fan

I have two small platy (less than an inch) and two 1-inch molly fishes. I have a heater inside the aquarium with a setting of 78 degrees. If the water rises to 80+ should I unplug the heater or allow it to cycle? The light on the heater is green, indicating a cool down cycle; however, the water temp reads 82.9 degrees. One of my platys is sitting at the top near the bubbles from the air stone. Is she is gasping for oxygen?

I have one automatic one I really like - Tetra brand, it's a 50W, it worked great in a 2.5 gal and now lives in a 8 gal to maintain a steady 76-78deg.  I have another that is much less consistent - I find the inconsistency is much more pronounced in a tank on the smaller end of the recommended size range.  Eg. the heater was rated for 2-10 gallons and the temperature swung pretty significantly in my 2.5 gallon (74-82) but it's staying steady in a 6 gallon.  The Tetra one is glass, the less consistent one is all plastic.  I'm not sure if it's the material that matters, or if the sensor quality is very different between them, but I don't think all set-temperature heaters are bad, and one that seems bad in one aquarium may work in another aquarium.

• Like 1