Is HOB needed with sponge filters?

Signmom99

Sorry for another noob question....I have a 55g that is in beginning stages of initial (fish in) cycle.  Ammonia currently at 2ppm and haven't spiked nitrites yet.  Anyway, LFS steered me wrong and I am correcting now before I get any further.  So, just installed (2) of Aquarium Co-op's large sponge filters.  My question is this.....do I need to run a HOB in addition to the sponge filters?  I would like to run just the two sponge filters if possible and perhaps add another plain airstone bar thing down the road.  Thank you for any advice.  

Perfect!!  That's exactly what I was hoping for.  When I had my saltwater reef aquarium years ago, I was able to keep my fish and corals all in a perfectly balanced "natural" state without a bunch of artificial assistance, of course I had some.  I'd like to eventually be able to do the same with this freshwater tank.  Maybe in a year or so, I'll try my hand at adding some plants 🙂. But for now, I just want to get through the cycle and get things done right.  

So with water changes (after cycle) to keep the parameters in check, the sponge filters will handle a fair bio load from larger fish?  Would eventually like to keep a small school of angels.