What is going on with this Apisto?

tolstoy21

I just finished treating this fish for pop-eye and moved it back to the community tank after a month-long quarantine. (Hmm . . . eyes seem bulgy, actually now that I look at these pics. But nothing like they were.)

These spots on the head started as one teeny speck while in the quarantine tank, but I dismissed it as discoloration since the fish had just finished a course of Kanaplex (soaked in food) and salt, and then convalesced in a clean tank for three weeks.

Now the spots are getting bigger.

Fungus? Hole-in-the-head? Thoughts?

I lost the female a few months back suddenly after she went south fast and her stomach bloated and showed what looked like red internal hemorrhaging.

IMG_6164.jpg.af72d444f160680b701caa1b2be98996.jpgIMG_6162.jpg.f30f750c458fb3d1cbd56219a77c5991.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21

@Culo - I broke down the quarantine tank that I believe this started in.

But knowing that, the parameters were all well within healthy scope -- nitrates < 5ppm, PH 7.4, everything else of note that could cause stress = 0. Temp 78F.

To be honest, I think this pair of apistos came to me with issues. They originally lived in their own tank until they spawned and I moved the male out to the community tank.

The female died 2 weeks after spawning, which would be three or so weeks after I received them. The male developed pop-eye in the community tank shortly after, which is full of otherwise healthy fish and has been stable for a few years. 

I didn't treat them with anything after purchase, given that they were going to stay isolated as a breeding pair. I only moved the male because of aggression issues with the female after spawning. 

I guess at this point, I'll re-quarantine and treat for internal parasites, and use salt for any possibility of fungus.

Unless anyone else has other suggestions. 

Edited by tolstoy21

Tolstoy21 I have has nearly identical experiences with a pair of Kribs and a trio of angelfish. I actually just posted my own topic about it. The fish seem good, breed, get bumps on their heads and sort of just fall apart from there. I tried meds for parasites, bacteria, high salt, water changes, everything I had. The offspring of those fish have had no problems, however.  I'm starting to think it is coming in with the fish from their source.