Which snails are better Nerite or Ramshorn?

Tom__in_Maryland

Nerites are really great algae eaters but they leave little, hard, white eggs EVERYWHERE. Here's my 75 gallon for example:

PXL_20201130_184152928_MP.jpg.964f8a1162b68f442788d50e4cdac5a2.jpg

Just something to consider if you're really into pristine, neat looking tanks. And also, nerites only breed in brackish water, so they're not as easy to keep up in population compared with other snails. 

Personally I really enjoy my pink ramshorns. 

I love my nerite snails so much that I'm thinking of setting up a brackish breeding tank for them. Their appetite for algae is unrivaled and I think they look incredible. If you're looking to get strangely attached to a snail, go for a nerite.

That said, ramshorns are great if you have lots of small nooks and crannies and plant leaves and detritus to clean and want to sort of set them and forget them. Since they breed so easily, their population will grow or shrink based on how much food you have for them.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:33 PM, Kirsten said:

I love my nerite snails so much that I'm thinking of setting up a brackish breeding tank for them. Their appetite for algae is unrivaled and I think they look incredible. If you're looking to get strangely attached to a snail, go for a nerite.

I agree, lol! I never thought I'd get so attached to my lil snail. I recently found my dear little girl nerite passed away on my carpet. It seems like she crawled out of the tank's top filter hole and couldn't find her way back. I had no idea she had escaped. I was so bummed, dude! Sad for a couple days lol and it's a snail! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1