Easy Flow Uplift Tubes

North Wales Zoo

I just want to see if I'm crazy or doing something wrong, but am I the only one who's not crazy about the easy flow uplifts? My air collars get clogged really quickly to the point that barely any bubbles come out, and I feel like I get more surface agitation when I am just running an air stone with the straight uplift tube. I think its great that they provide the option, but am I the only one experiencing this?

• Like 1

The syringe method works well.   It would be nice if you could just remove the air hose at the airpump and use the syringe, but no such luck…

I have taken to just doing it once a month per tank…

• Like 1

I had quirks because I run a lot, and I mean a lot, of air.  The sponge I had was what I would call extra fine porosity and the water just couldn't flow through enough to have the agitation. 

My favorite thing about the air collars is that they work great for what you need them to do and I can move things easier without disassembling the cap on a sponge filter.  Ultimately I did remove them, but this is purely because of my setup and use case.  I can't speak to "normal" performance.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 9:50 AM, North Wales Zoo said:

feel like I get more surface agitation when I am just running an air stone with the straight uplift tube

You probably do get more surface agitation with a straight uplift tube either with an airstone or a clean air collar.

I suspect you get more tank flow with the curved tube though. 

what is more important?  Surface agitation or flow through the tank?

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Pepere said:

You probably do get more surface agitation with a straight uplift tube either with an airstone or a clean air collar.

I suspect you get more tank flow with the curved tube though. 

what is more important?  Surface agitation or flow through the tank?

Depends, some fish love a current. For larger tanks like my 150 gallon, 1 sponge in a corner won't get good flow without the bent uplift. In a 20 gallon, you don't have to use the bent piece.