Hello, I was just wondering if you guys can help me. I'm trying to fill up my 55g tank, so far a have a few tetras but they are fighting all the time I'm not too familiar on how to treat Tetras. I have 7 Zebra tetras (4 normal, 3 glow) and 3 Diamond Tetras (2 normal 1 glow) I know what you are all going to say about the glow ones, but I like them and if you do your research this cool fish are not injected (maybe theyr ancestors did, but that was along time ago) they were born that way and are very healthy and happy.

Now being said that they have some sort of aggression to each other, I know they are schooling fish but I'm afraid they don't get along and I have no idea why. Maybe is because the tank is too big? Do I need to put more fish? Probably I do, but I'm slowly but surely working on it, maybe you have an idea on what to do or maybe suggest something any help will be great appreciate it.

Thank....

Edited by EmeralDQueen
forgot a thumbnail

One of my rasboras has an injury from fighting or from a chase, and I'm hoping he makes it as he's not really swimming with the group nor eating. I had a group of 8 but already lost one female who got stuck (possibly being chased). Apparently even "community fish" can be quite aggressive, especially males when chasing females. My male danio erythromicron also get quite aggressive with one another, and sometimes relentlessly chase females.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

One of my rasboras has an injury from fighting or from a chase, and I'm hoping he makes it as he's not really swimming with the group nor eating. I had a group of 8 but already lost one female who got stuck (possibly being chased). Apparently even "community fish" can be quite aggressive, especially males when chasing females. My male danio erythromicron also get quite aggressive with one another, and sometimes relentlessly chase females.

Sorry to hear your fish passed away, the aggression is mainly in the morning then they calm down a bit and then some on the evening and then they go back to a normal phase is so weird...

1 minute ago, EmeralDQueen said:

Sorry to hear your fish passed away, the aggression is mainly in the morning then they calm down a bit and then some on the evening and then they go back to a normal phase is so weird...

Same with mine! They have super active periods chasing and being mean, and then they all hang and school together.

Here is what I found so far...

Are Long Fin Tetras aggressive?
Serpaes are known to be fin nippers; they can become aggressive to other fish during feeding. The serpae tetra can be housed in a community aquarium, but you want to avoid including slow-moving fish and fish with long fins, such as guppies, gouramis and bettas. Serpaes do best with other fast-moving fish.

I don't know what other moving fast fish, the Zebra tetras are fast too...

I have heard that Zebra tetras can be 'ornery' for a small fish.

Given that you have a "huge" tank for these nano fish, I would suggest getting more of each species for a proper school. I would suggest at least 7 of each type. You can build up the school size even bigger for the species that you enjoy more over time. It all depends on where you want to take your tank.

One other thing to help out with aggression in any tank, is to have a bunch of tall live plants, or other hard scape (sticks and stones)  to allow more timid fish to hide in and to block the sight lines which can trigger the chase.

With that size tank, you will be able to have so much fun.

Happy Fish Keeping! 🐠