Greatest frustration in your tanks?

Is it delayed gratification? Fighting water parameters? Livestock challenges?

For me it's not having a definitive answer/resolution to plant compatibility with tank conditions. Every parameter i can currently test for is supposedly near perfect for what i want to grow, yet some "super easy, grows like a weed even in a neglected dungeon" plants simply just will NOT grow for me, floating or planted. I'm an engineer/fix it/very handy guy & not having answers KILLS me! Stoopid weeds. 😝

Secondary is not being able to try all the cool fish i don't have room to accommodate. 😍

What frosts your cookies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dirt in the water column and algae.

On 9/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

Secondary is not being able to try all the cool fish i don't have room to accommodate

Same, one day I want to try keeping hoplias malabaricus (wolf fish) with a lot of nano fish but I’m not sure if they are legal in Mississippi. There are also so many other various fish I can’t keep because I’m out of space and four fish aquariums, one live food culture, and one breeding tank is pushing the limit for a 16 year old.

On 9/28/2024 at 11:21 AM, Mississippi fish guy said:

Dirt in the water column

Oooh yeah, that's a minor pet peave of mine, too. I do fine filter floss in the cannisters, intake skimmers & don't keep any known poop factories (gold fish, oscars, big plecos, etc). 

A small bit of gda on rockscape i don't mind for the snails & Otos...

Planting/scaping, I never know where to stick stuff. And when I do find a good spot, its usually a project to get plants planted without them floating up a few times....

The other thing that grinds my gears is unruly fish that eat my plants when I don't feed them enough, or uproot plants while in territorial disputes! 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 4:35 PM, JoeQ said:

Planting/scaping, I never know where to stick stuff. And when I do find a good spot, its usually a project to get plants planted without them floating up a few times....

The other thing that grinds my gears is unruly fish that eat my plants when I don't feed them enough, or uproot plants while in territorial disputes! 

Yep. One of my frustrations too! I hate when I am trying to scape a tank, and i put everything where I think I should put it, then over the week I end up changing it a million times LOL. Sometimes just cannot decide right?  Making up my mind is so hard for me in planning and scaping a tank.

I've used the Scape.it website to help visualize different layouts. It works pretty good on a proper computer but was a little wonky on my cellphone. Totally free for the basic level & kinda fun to play with...

On 9/28/2024 at 4:35 PM, JoeQ said:

The other thing that grinds my gears is unruly fish that eat my plants when I don't feed them enough...

I hear ya! My female Angel likes to graze when she's starting to feel a bit frisky. The lil hussy!

On 9/28/2024 at 5:15 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yep. One of my frustrations too! I hate when I am trying to scape a tank, and i put everything where I think I should put it, then over the week I end up changing it a million times LOL. Sometimes just cannot decide right?  Making up my mind is so hard for me in planning and scaping a tank.

I got a bum hand, many times spots are chosen out of frustration because I am unable to plant it where I'd like to plant it... The words "ohhh FFS, just stick that  #&*%ing  s*&+ somewhere and move on with your day!" are often heard before that choice is made! 😂

On 9/28/2024 at 5:52 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

I hear ya! My female Angel likes to graze when she's starting to feel a bit frisky. The lil hussy!

Exactly my biggest problem as well!!! Before that it was an Alpha diamond tetra throwing around his mating dominance. Him and a few of his male comrades got evicted!

On 9/28/2024 at 3:35 PM, JoeQ said:

The other thing that grinds my gears is unruly fish that eat my plants

I think I had that problem whlie I trained my longest sunfish to eat pellets. My crypts were doing great before then but now they have lost a lot of their leaves but are starting to come back.

On 9/28/2024 at 3:35 PM, JoeQ said:

Planting/scaping, I never know where to stick stuff.

I also have that problem.

Algae💩mainly stupid cyano!

Also test kits not matching up - aka nitrate on a test strip showing 20 and 40 on a liquid test kit. Drives me nuts bc I don’t know which to trust!

Wanting bigger tanks… but also wanting smaller tanks… but they have to be rimless and low iron because it’s fAnCiEr🤓