10 Gallon Stock Ideas

Sandrock14

On 9/29/2024 at 12:30 AM, Sandrock14 said:

What type of contests did they do? The kids probably loved it

For Dustins contest. He gets a group of kids together. Gives them a tank and aqua soil. Then lets them pick out driftwood and plants to decorate it with. Like regular aqua scaping. Then judges it and they all get to take the tanks home. It was fun watching them. She did a sort of plant crown around the top of the tank. Which of course wouldn’t work in real life. But it was cool looking. We got her a betta from prism to put in it. We ended up with 3 bettas. All really cool fish. 

On 9/29/2024 at 12:30 AM, Sandrock14 said:

That's good stuff. I definitely am excited for next year. Probably will bring my dad too

Have to stick around for the last hour or so. A lot of the things there were auctioned off at the end and they had a huge raffle pool you had to be there for. We missed that though. Her gymnastics coach wanted a special meeting in the evening with her. 

• Love 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:33 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Thank you!!!

Have any of you all kept a single Honey Gourami? Was it interactive and did it get lonely?

My HG group has all aged out but 1.  He does seem lonely and not as active.  I put some Psuedomugil Luminatus with him.  It helped but I can tell his personality is not what it was with his group.  They are a very social species.  

• Like 2

At my LFS they have had some very healthy looking Honey Gouramis (pictures below). Im debating on getting 3 for my 10 gallon, with hopefully 1 being male and 2 being female. 
By looking at their size they look pretty young. Does anyone know how old these are approximately and if they are too young to sex?

IMG_3732.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 11:36 AM, Sandrock14 said:

do you think 1 male and 2 female honeys would be too much for a 10 gallon?

Not at all. They stay under 2” and are not fast swimmers. You would still have room in the tank 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Sandrock14, may I ask where you got the stone in your aquarium? Kinda off topic but I am looking for some more decor and that larger stone looks awesome!

Most of the rocks are from my father. Back in the day he got most of his hiking around Lake Superior. Ill randomly pick up one here or there at a LFS as well.

Do you guys think it would be ideal to purchase 1 Honey, and then purchase another Honey, wait a while longer, and then purchase another Honey? The intent would be 1 male 2 females. And Im hoping if I got Honeys from different batches it would limit cross breeding and any type of deformities if they indeed had babies.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 5:01 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Most of the rocks are from my father. Back in the day he got most of his hiking around Lake Superior. Ill randomly pick up one here or there at a LFS as well.

Do you guys think it would be ideal to purchase 1 Honey, and then purchase another Honey, wait a while longer, and then purchase another Honey? The intent would be 1 male 2 females. And Im hoping if I got Honeys from different batches it would limit cross breeding and any type of deformities if they indeed had babies.

Shouldn’t be an issue. 

On 9/30/2024 at 5:14 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Shouldn’t be an issue. 

I hope you are correct. I'm torn between getting one single Honey and letting them grow up a bit and them attempting to get different Honeys or just buy 3 at once and hope the sex ratio is appropriate.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 9:27 PM, Sandrock14 said:

I'm torn between getting one single Honey and letting them grow up a bit and them attempting to get different Honeys or just buy 3 at once and hope the sex ratio is appropriate

Personal preference, of course. But apparently you can sex them by the end of the dorsal fin. Males have a pointed tip, females are more rounded. So you should be able to see, or have your lfs choose for you. You do have to make sure that you don’t get the thick lipped gourami. Relatively the same size and shape, but mixing gourami doesn’t usually work. 

• Like 3

On 9/29/2024 at 11:32 AM, Sandrock14 said:
On 10/1/2024 at 7:17 AM, Tony s said:

Personal preference, of course. But apparently you can sex them by the end of the dorsal fin. Males have a pointed tip, females are more rounded. So you should be able to see, or have your lfs choose for you. You do have to make sure that you don’t get the thick lipped gourami. Relatively the same size and shape, but mixing gourami doesn’t usually work. 

IMG_3732.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

I would say these guys definitely don't look like Thick Lick Gouramis? The store labeled them as Honey Gouramis Trichogaster chuna

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 9:20 PM, Lynaea said:

+1 Honey Gourami

I had a single Honey Gourami (Charlie) in a 20 long with a group of golden minnows and various Corydoras. Unfortunately, he didn't last. Never figured out why he died. Up until the day he disappeared there were no signs that anything was wrong, and I didn't lose any other fish. He was such a beautiful fish that I still refer to that aquarium as my Charlie tank. I have a female Betta in there now, but I miss him. 

• Sad 2

I have been a cichlid person for many years but am now trying my hand at guppies.  They have personality and color and react well to what is happening in my tank and outside.  I also appreciate the vacation from the aggression I have experienced with cichlids.  .

• Like 3

On 10/1/2024 at 8:43 AM, Scaperoot said:

I had a single Honey Gourami (Charlie) in a 20 long with a group of golden minnows and various Corydoras. Unfortunately, he didn't last. Never figured out why he died. Up until the day he disappeared there were no signs that anything was wrong, and I didn't lose any other fish. He was such a beautiful fish that I still refer to that aquarium as my Charlie tank. I have a female Betta in there now, but I miss him. 

Aww I'm sorry to hear about that. Charlie sounded like a nice fellow! That is strange if he suddenly died. How long did you have him for?

On 10/1/2024 at 10:09 AM, AAE said:

I have been a cichlid person for many years but am now trying my hand at guppies.  They have personality and color and react well to what is happening in my tank and outside.  I also appreciate the vacation from the aggression I have experienced with cichlids.  .

It is nice to switch it up. Cichlids have great personalities and are very smart, but they can definitely be feisty as you know!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 10:35 PM, Schuyler said:

Seconding the killifish idea. You could easily do a pair of small group of most killifish. My Fundulopanchax Gardneri were just in a 10 gallon.

PXL_20241002_005947804.jpg.a322a2acd9b2ac0e67b533a196bf19a3.jpg

Wow they look spectacular. I don't think I have ever had Killifish. Don't they only live a few months up to a year?

On 10/2/2024 at 2:41 AM, Sandrock14 said:

Wow they look spectacular. I don't think I have ever had Killifish. Don't they only live a few months up to a year?

There are some "annual" killifish that can have a short lifespan including one species that only lives for three months. That species is hard to find though and most of them can live for more than a year. I had one "annual" killi live for almost two years 

But that's only a few genuses that have that short lifespan. Most of them have a lifespan comparable to guppies or bettas (about 3 years). The ones you can easily find like Fundulopanchax Gardneri or Aphyosemion Australe have longer lifespans. Genuses like Nothobranchius and Astrolebius are the shorter lived annuals.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 5:41 AM, Sandrock14 said:

I don't think I have ever had Killifish

Dans fish has a lot of different ones to look at. Also look at the price. The common ones are usually the hardiest, and have the lowest prices. For first time killifish people, me included, stunning but cheap is a good thing. 

Lots of cheap ones currently out of stock. But you get the idea 

On 10/1/2024 at 12:02 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Aww I'm sorry to hear about that. Charlie sounded like a nice fellow! That is strange if he suddenly died. How long did you have him for?

It is nice to switch it up. Cichlids have great personalities and are very smart, but they can definitely be feisty as you know!

I only had him for about a month. The fish farm I usually get fish from is hit or miss on certain types of fish.  I had to learn (the hard way) which ones to avoid. Like their female Koi Bettas for example. All have either died within a year or are living with tumors now. We have Bettas that we got from tiny cups at big box stores that are three years or older. A couple Bettas I bought from Aqua Huna this year are doing well, so I hope that's a better option going forward. Would love to try with another Honey Gourami one day. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 7:45 AM, Tony s said:

Dans fish has a lot of different ones to look at. Also look at the price. The common ones are usually the hardiest, and have the lowest prices. For first time killifish people, me included, stunning but cheap is a good thing. 

Lots of cheap ones currently out of stock. But you get the idea 

I love Dan's fish and all the work he's doing to ensure people get healthy, high quality fish. That said, the prices can be a little high. For killifish I would reach out to a local club. Fundulopanchax Gardneri often breed like guppies so there's a good chance there's a killifish person willing to share with someone new to killis. Or at least that's been my experience and what I've done a few times in the past.

• Love 1