Aquarium clubs

Retrophyllum_minus

Hey - how many of you have active Aquarium Clubs in your area? Are you a member/have you been involved in them? 

We don't have one here. I've asked folks who've been in the hobby 40 years and they said the same thing as I found in my searches - some folks attempted it some years ago and it didn't have momentum. 

There seems to be just one in my entire state, and that is in an area which is a 2+ hour drive away. I am not even sure if it is still active. There's a few barely active Facebook groups, from what I can see (I don't have Facebook), remnants of failed attempts and then that one regional club I mentioned earlier. 

Anyhow- just curious what your experiences have been and what those of you who are active in clubs get out of the experience? 

oh, I'm in rural Maine by the way, in the USA. That seems relevant. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

Rural areas up there though . . .

Yeah that seems to be the issue. Being one of the most rural states in the country where everyone is spaced so far apart makes it hard to get a club up and running and maintain that momentum, apparently. 

I'd love to try to get one going someday that survives but it'll be a while before I get to that point or have the capacity to try. Even just one that meets quarterly would be cool. 

On 9/17/2024 at 11:24 AM, gabdewulf said:

I drive about 45 minutes to mine. It's in Central Pennasalivania. We use as an excuse to go to the big town once a month so it works out.

Why don't you start one?

Are you going to Keystone Clash

Im near York PA.  I belong to Cichlid Club of York and Aquarium Club of Lancaster County.  They host Keystone Clash.

I also belong to Aquarium Club of Maryland which was started by a friend of mine 2 years ago.  
I make most CCY meetings and at least 1 per quarter at ACLC.  It’s a great time, fun auctions to buy and sell babies, plants etc. I also participate in  The breeders programs at both. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2