Surprise sparkling gourami breeding! Have some questions.

MrGibson

Hey all. I just got back home from dinner and sat and watched my new sparkling gouramis for a bit and almost immediately I saw an embrace and the mail caught the egg and ran off with it. I’m surprised to see it because a few were sick when I got them two weeks ago but meds must have taken care of it quick. Since they’re new and this is a surprise I’m not very knowledgeable about breeding them. I’ve seen mixed reports on whether the fry can be left with the adults or not. Any insight there? They’ll probably stay for now anyway because I’ve just yesterday’s started getting a fry system together but it’ll be another week or two before I have a place to put them. I’ve just started an infusoria culture that hopefully will be ready once they need to eat. We’ll see how it all goes 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2024 at 10:51 PM, MrGibson said:

Hey all. I just got back home from dinner and sat and watched my new sparkling gouramis for a bit and almost immediately I saw an embrace and the mail caught the egg and ran off with it. I’m surprised to see it because a few were sick when I got them two weeks ago but meds must have taken care of it quick. Since they’re new and this is a surprise I’m not very knowledgeable about breeding them. I’ve seen mixed reports on whether the fry can be left with the adults or not. Any insight there? They’ll probably stay for now anyway because I’ve just yesterday’s started getting a fry system together but it’ll be another week or two before I have a place to put them. I’ve just started an infusoria culture that hopefully will be ready once they need to eat. We’ll see how it all goes 

Congrats that's awesome. Most species of gourami the male normally looks after the nest and fry. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:23 PM, Tlindsey said:

Congrats that's awesome. Most species of gourami the male normally looks after the nest and fry. 

Thanks! I’m excited about it. I do know the males will take care of them for a while but I guess what I’m really asking is if once they’re free swimming and the male calls it quits they’d be safe. My gut tells me no, but I’ve seen multiple people say they haven’t seen much different in survival rate with the parents or without. If the fry hatch out and I can get them to the point of free swimming I’ll definitely report back if anything is learned. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:27 PM, MrGibson said:

Thanks! I’m excited about it. I do know the males will take care of them for a while but I guess what I’m really asking is if once they’re free swimming and the male calls it quits they’d be safe. My gut tells me no, but I’ve seen multiple people say they haven’t seen much different in survival rate with the parents or without. If the fry hatch out and I can get them to the point of free swimming I’ll definitely report back if anything is learned. 

That culture of infusoria definitely should help. If you have plants that will help provide food as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:35 PM, Tlindsey said:

That culture of infusoria definitely should help. If you have plants that will help provide food as well. 

It’s fairly densely planted but it did have some meds in it recently that probably threw the microfauna off some. Based on a quick google search I’ve got about 3 days until they hatch so hopefully that’s enough time to get the culture started. If not I do have a container one with a green water problem and powdered fry food if all else fails. Hopefully between all that I’ll get them going 

• Like 1

Not the same species but still anabantids and most of the raising fry info should apply.  @Fish Folk did a very nice write up thread on breeding his Bettas.  He also had clever ways to feed them and change water so the fry container lid barely needed to be opened during those critical weeks while they are developing their labyrinth organs.

Edited by Odd Duck
Add link to his thread.