What are your favorite plant’s to grow in your fish tanks?

I just want to get ideas for plants people like to grow in their tanks. Tips? Ideas?

Remember the forum guidelines. Enjoy the conversation!

Edited by Fish finatic45

Honestly, I love whatever I can get my hands on for cheap or free. Got some cuttings on OfferUp for a dollar, amazing. Took some plants home after an invasive species removal, amazing. LFS selling stem plants for three bucks, amazing!!!

But with that my favorite species I have personally grown is ludwigia palustris, aka water-purslane. I just love any of the ludwigias honestly. In higher light it turns a little olive-red hue, and it grows super fast. Super tolerant, and it has wide leaves that my pygmy cories love to rest on. Cleaning algae off is really easy as well. Also grown ludwigia repens and just a great species. Conclusion: I love ludwigia. 

For my small microfauna "tanks" and jars I like to use myriophyllum aquaticum, or parrot's feather. It's very invasive here in Washington but I took a few cuttings (with permission) after volunteering with my watershed to remove it from a local wetland preserve. It grows like crazy and produces oxygen really well, so I love it for my daphnia and copepods. Plus the leaves are pretty soft so if they start to decay it's super easy for the little critters to eat em. 

My favorite temperate / cold-water species is probably water-starwort. Really cute rooted or floatingg.

I love me some corkscrew Val. I generally just love crypts. Big fan of Rotala Bangladesh and persicaria kawagoeanum. Hygroryza aristata is a very cool floating plant. It’s a true grass. One I’d love to grow but probably wont be able to since it’s illegal to sell in the us is the few cultivars of Hygrophila polysperma. 

I wish I had a great answer! Long story short, I’ve had a period of about a year when my low-tech tank plants had been barely hanging on instead of thriving. I think I’m finally solving the problem, but shout out to moneywort for staying tough. It ain’t the prettiest fanciest plants but I’ve got about 17 stems now while my caroliniana bacopa and ludwigia repens declined in numbers significantly. 
That said, I do like tiger lotus

Anything that will grow for me is my favorite, lol. My all time favorite plant is Pogo Octopus and I am crossing the crap out of my fingers that I can get it to grow in my 29g. This is attempt 3….

My dwarf lily has been amazing - I gave it some root tabs and it’s grown like crazy when nothing else would grow!

I also really like Brazilian Pennywort. I threw it in my tank as a floating plant and it’s done well.