Hydra in my shrimp tank.

I noticed these things in my tank today. I'm pretty sure they are hydras. There are a lot of them on a particular area of the glass. Right under the filter towards the bottom of the glass. They were in my last tank and that tank started leaking and had to be replaced and now they are back in the new tank in the exact same area. That makes me worry that they will be very hard to get rid of. So how bad are hydra for cherry shrimp and guppies and how can they be managed? Do I just scrub them off the glass or will that make them multiply even more? Is there an effective treatment that is safe for plants, shrimp, and snails?

20240904_1746171.jpg.9456c3995cdcded3d63dbee7dbc2a06d.jpg

On 9/4/2024 at 6:06 PM, Supermassive said:

So how bad are hydra for cherry shrimp and guppies and how can they be managed? The Hydra will prey on the shrimplets and guppy fry.

On 9/4/2024 at 6:06 PM, Supermassive said:

I noticed these things in my tank today. I'm pretty sure they are hydras. There are a lot of them on a particular area of the glass. Right under the filter towards the bottom of the glass. They were in my last tank and that tank started leaking and had to be replaced and now they are back in the new tank in the exact same area. That makes me worry that they will be very hard to get rid of. So how bad are hydra for cherry shrimp and guppies and how can they be managed? Do I just scrub them off the glass or will that make them multiply even more? Is there an effective treatment that is safe for plants, shrimp, and snails?

20240904_1746171.jpg.9456c3995cdcded3d63dbee7dbc2a06d.jpg

The hydra will prey on tiny shrimplets and the guppy fry. Tbh don't know how you would get rid of the hydra with snails and shrimp in the aquarium. 

Edited by Tlindsey
Missed word

Definitely Hydra. I don’t recommend scraping them off as yes they will multiple. 

I’ve taken my siphon hose, and scraped that against the glass with the siphon going to remove them. Also, Fenbendazole will get rid of them. Safe for shrimp and plants. Not so sure on the snails. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 7:37 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Definitely Hydra. I don’t recommend scraping them off as yes they will multiple. 

I’ve taken my siphon hose, and scraped that against the glass with the siphon going to remove them. Also, Fenbendazole will get rid of them. Safe for shrimp and plants. Not so sure on the snails. 

Do you think they are a big deal and I should eradicate them or can I just remove them when I'm doing water changes?

Use a melamine wipe to remove them. If you leave any cells they just regrow. The melamine wipes seem to get all of it. 
They really are more an eye irritant than a threat. I have them from time to time in my shrimp and fry tanks. The fry and shrimp avoid them unless they get extremely dense. 
Fenbendazole will kill snails but is safe for shrimp and plants.  
Stop feeding fine powder foods and brine shrimp for a few weeks. They will cyst up and mostly can be vacuumed out.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 8:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

Use a melamine wipe to remove them. If you leave any cells they just regrow. The melamine wipes seem to get all of it.

Is that what the AC sponges are made of? Sorry not exactly sure what melamine is lol.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

Stop feeding fine powder foods and brine shrimp for a few weeks. They will cyst up and mostly can be vacuumed out.

Guppies are still are in quarantine. Shrimp are the only things getting fed. I only feed them about every 2-3 weeks.

I will probably just leave them and remove what I can when I'm water changing.

I have them in all my tanks with fry unfortunately... doesn't seem to bother them at all... I usually like additional diversity in my tanks but they keep growing on my darn plants....

1 day every other week I don't feed my tanks. The next day I noticed all the hydra were way stubbier and thicker and weren't moving much. Then my fish started eating them. I was like!! Wow that was super easy. They immediately came back the second I started feeding again. Chemicals aren't an option for me because I don't want to take the chance my fry will get harmed. From what I read it's like getting lanced with the super thin appendage. Short term, I haven't seen any issues except choking my plants and eating leftover BBS.not sure as to any longterm effects. (Like stress related)

I also did the scraping/siphoning combo and while it definitely reduced the hydra on my glass over the next few days they just came back at about the same density as before

• Thanks 1