Type of Algae are the Green Spots and Yes, I have BBA

Can somone tell me what kind of algae this is? It is the little green spots? They are stuck to the glass and very hard if not impossible to remove by force or chemicle.  If you also notice the BBA, I know about that one and the same applies but I'm working on it.  Each time I get a little plant growth the BBA takes over.  The vallisneria was covered with it so I cut it all back and it hasn't grown back yet.

I have tried peroxide dosing (didn't work, try again?), and daily flourish excel but only for a week.  On the pic with the wood I see at the top the BBA has turned grey after brushing some on the wood only outside the tank.  But I can't see all the BBA spots to brush on because it is hard to see outside the tank.  Also, I figure if I don't get it out of the water it will just grow back and the little spot treatments will not matter.  I don't want to even try spot treating the plants.

I am amateur, really, I know but my fish live on almost no problems.

20240903_210618.jpg

20240902_182426.jpg

Reduced lighting is the only thing that really had an effect on GSA for me. Anything over 7hrs full light starts to get problematic. 

I experimented with a 4hr siesta between two 4hr light periods, & while it did slow down the algae...it also slowed down the plant growth. 

BBA only pops up in areas of high flow if i get lazy & let the nutrients/organic waste build up or get imbalanced. 

This is in a fairly heavy planted low tech tank. I'm sure other setups will vary...

• Like 1

Green spot algae

https://nilocg.com/blogs/news/algae-common-causes-and-solutions-for-different-types

The first step in removing algae should always be to roll your sleves up, get your hands wet and clean, clean, clean!!!

Also a good read to understanding algae

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/algae-control/algae-and-tank-maturity?_pos=1&_psq=Tank+matura&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:20 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

Reduced lighting is the only thing that really had an effect on GSA for me. Anything over 7hrs full light starts to get problematic. 

I experimented with a 4hr siesta between two 4hr light periods, & while it did slow down the algae...it also slowed down the plant growth. 

BBA only pops up in areas of high flow if i get lazy & let the nutrients/organic waste build up or get imbalanced. 

This is in a fairly heavy planted low tech tank. I'm sure other setups will vary...

Nitrates are always 40+.  I just did a 50% water change and it still shows 50 ppm nitrates before and after the water change.  How is it possible that it does not change?  I have seen this statement "Optimize fertilization: Improve fertilization levels."  Should I fertilize and what does optimize and improve mean for my tank?

Thanks

On 9/4/2024 at 12:30 PM, bvaring said:

Nitrates are always 40+.  I just did a 50% water change and it still shows 50 ppm nitrates before and after the water change.  How is it possible that it does not change?  I have seen this statement "Optimize fertilization: Improve fertilization levels."  Should I fertilize and what does optimize and improve mean for my tank?

Thanks

Test your tap water source. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 1:08 PM, MWilk said:

Test your tap water source. 

It thought about that yesteday and tested and it was 0. I never thought about the test strips being bad. I'll get it tested at PetSmart today.  

Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 1:16 PM, bvaring said:

It thought about that yesteday and tested and it was 0. I never thought about the test strips being bad. I'll get it tested at PetSmart today.  

Thanks

The test for nitrates isn’t very sensitive. On most color comparator tests you really get about 3 ranges. Zero-very low, just right, and way too high. There’s a good chance your nitrates are way high and you just cut them down but not enough to make a difference in the test. 

are you using the ACO test strips?

Try a liquid dropper test. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 1:20 PM, MWilk said:

The test for nitrates isn’t very sensitive. On most color comparator tests you really get about 3 ranges. Zero-very low, just right, and way too high. There’s a good chance your nitrates are way high and you just cut them down but not enough to make a difference in the test. 

I used to use liquid dropper test but I got lazy.  I think these strips have expired or got contaminated because the color is kinda brownish pink.  I got the water tested at PetSmart today and I think they use the same strips.  0 for both Nitrates and Nitrites and no Ammonia.  I might overdone the water changes a bit.  I'll have to get new test and see if the Nitrates rise.  I hope the 0 level will help to get rid of the BBA.  I plan to also start using Flourish Excel again daily.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2024 at 1:20 PM, MWilk said:

I'm using API 5-in-1.  I had a test kit supplies ran out and I got rid of it.  I'll put it on my list of to-buy.  Thanks

Nitrates are already back to 20 according to strips after a 20% water change.  I forgot to test it before.  I havent cleaned the HOB sponges at all in a while, none through any of this.  I have a in=tank bubble sponge filter I could add but I didn't think that would help with Nitrates.

For now the BBA is not increasing, I think maybe increased. I started back using Flourish Excel today.  I don't understand how to add root tabs and fertilizer if the nitrates are already high (high?)

Do I need to do very frequent water changes now? Do I need even more plants to take up the Nitrates?  This is a 35 gallon thank with 7 tiny fish and 3 medium-small fish.

Oh and are these tiny snails? Are they harmfull?

20240914_221308.jpg

20240914_221312.jpg

GIF_20240914_225207_787.gif

On 9/14/2024 at 11:53 PM, bvaring said:

Nitrates are already back to 20 according to strips after a 20% water change.  I forgot to test it before.  I havent cleaned the HOB sponges at all in a while, none through any of this.  I have a in=tank bubble sponge filter I could add but I didn't think that would help with Nitrates.

For now the BBA is not increasing, I think maybe increased. I started back using Flourish Excel today.  I don't understand how to add root tabs and fertilizer if the nitrates are already high (high?)

Do I need to do very frequent water changes now? Do I need even more plants to take up the Nitrates?  This is a 35 gallon thank with 7 tiny fish and 3 medium-small fish.

Oh and are these tiny snails? Are they harmfull?

20240914_221308.jpg

20240914_221312.jpg

GIF_20240914_225207_787.gif

Snails are not harmful. In fact, they'll probably help eat algae.

• Thanks 1