Will this shelving unit be okay?

So I’ve found a good shelving unit after some advice on one of my previous posts and I was wondering if this will be okay? I will be purchasing the steel shelving option.

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/shelving-c4505/big340-shelving-c5023/big340-light-grey-915mm-high-shelving-p17316

On the top shelf I plan to keep an 125 litre tank

On the middle I plan to keep a 60 litre AND a 45 litre

On the bottom I plan to keep a 70 litre

Do you guys think this will be okay load wise and material wise? Also - I am putting this in my bedroom and I don’t want the steel to be super noisy so if any one has any ideas of what I could do to cover the steel (like a mouse mat or something) and put the fish tanks on top of let me know. Thanks

UPDATE: I’ve just asked the seller if they thought it would be good for a fish tank and they said because the water is classed as a live load the unit has a chance of collapsing - not sure how but that’s not something I want to risk 

On 8/30/2024 at 9:12 AM, Cjbear087 said:

not sure how but that’s not something I want to risk

I know. We want to do this without killing the bank. But a lot of the stuff you get inexpensively isn't worth the money you pay for it. Unfortunately. You can always do like me. If it's a flat spot, it's got a tank on it. out of the 14 tanks. I only have 4 stands. and those were for the bigger ones. The rest are on tables, dressers, counters. Yes, I'm sure my wife gets very annoyed with me sometimes 😁

On 9/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, mrhoyo said:

I have two 70l on the middle shelf and a turtle tank on the bottom shelf of this. They do different sizes.

https://www.tufferman.co.uk/products/1x-hrx-industrial-shelving-1770mm-high-up-to-600kg-grey?variant=40889903743113

I did look at these but because they are MDF I didn’t want to risk them coming into contact with water

I agree with @johnnyxxl that making your own stand is 100% worth it. I have made tables with wood before and they stand the test of time. I wouldn't recommend having all three large tanks on one stand though. If you have smaller tanks maybe switch spots with those. I would hate to see a collapsed tank stand when I come home.

• Like 1

Definitely do not use MDF or chipboard or anything not at least 7 ply external plywood for shelving. They'll fail in days, and you really don't want to see what they'll do if you ever get them wet!

• Like 2