Please help me diagnose my danio

Lizzietheloach

Hi there,

This morning I noticed that one of my danios had a large, pale growth on its side that stuck out noticeably. It was swimming and interacting with the other fish normally, but it also seemed like that side with the growth might have been a little bloated. Difficult to tell, because they're so fast. I thought it might be lympho, but wasn't sure. A couple hours later, I noticed some redness on that spot as if it had been scraped or had burst.

Tank is a 32g with driftwood, real and silk plants, and some decor. Mid-range pH, 20-30 nitrates, 5 GH, 7 KH, no ammonia or nitrites, 77-78 degrees (not on purpose, it's just hot in Florida). Tankmates included kuhli loaches and amano shrimp who are acting normally. A couple weeks ago I did treat the tank with the first of 3 rounds of Paracleanse because one of my kuhli loaches looked very skinny and I was worried about it being wasting disease. The first two photos are from early in the morning when it was just a white growth, and then second two are later when it looked like it got scraped. At first, it almost looked like it had a bone sticking out of its body. 

What can I do for this poor fish? Is this going to spread to my other fish? 

Thank you very much.

No description available.

Hi. Thanks for responding. I got her about 6 months ago from my LFS. She's never had any issues before. She's my biggest, toughest danio. She's still swimming around normally, just looks like she has a small wound on her side. The ulcer or whatever it was is completely off now. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2024 at 1:59 PM, Lizzietheloach said:

just looks like she has a small wound on her side

Yeah, that was my first thought. Looks like she got herself stuck by something. You might consider adding catapa leaves for a bit. They have a bit of anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties. Just until the wound heals.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 2:18 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, that was my first thought. Looks like she got herself stuck by something. You might consider adding catapa leaves for a bit. They have a bit of anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties. Just until the wound heals.

Got it. I'll get some. What would have caused that weird pimple-like growth, though? 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 2:24 PM, Lizzietheloach said:

What would have caused that weird pimple-like growth, though

To me that looks like lifted scales. where something actually jabbed her. But it is possible it's an erupting cyst as well. @Colu would have a better idea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:27 PM, Tony s said:

To me that looks like lifted scales. where something actually jabbed her. But it is possible it's an erupting cyst as well. @Colu would have a better idea

it could also be a ruptured abscess or an injury what I would is a course of maracyn2  to prevent any secondary bacterial infections infection 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:17 PM, Colu said:

it could also be a ruptured abscess or an injury what I would is a course of maracyn2  to prevent any secondary bacterial infections infection 

Sounds good. She's looking a lot better today, which is encouraging. Does anyone have a link to get some maracyn 2? I'm having trouble finding it. Lot of maracyn, but not a lot of maracyn 2. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:39 AM, Lizzietheloach said:

Sounds good. She's looking a lot better today, which is encouraging. Does anyone have a link to get some maracyn 2? I'm having trouble finding it. Lot of maracyn, but not a lot of maracyn 2. 

Yeah only place I could find that has it is ebay.

Link,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255330300799?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338765313&toolid=20006&customid=bd5d4f966fea847c054751c3447afaa8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1