Is this filter … filtering?

Well, is getting a new sponge filter going to break the bank?

$5.00?  $8.00?

For me, the disruption in viewing pleasure would be enough for me to pull the trigger..

If cost is an issue, I am willing to bet a little superglue could stop the air bubbles…

For every bubble that doesn't come out the middle, you lose a little filtration, still doing it's job, just not as efficiently.

As Pepere mentioned, you could use some cyanoacrylate super glue to fix the hole in the filter too.

• Like 2

You can always get a tube the same diameter as your updraft tube. Cut the 2nd tube to be 1" long and attach it below the top plate (inside the filter). This will force all the air into your updraft tube. Just make the tube just long enough to make this happen.

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 9:02 PM, Pepere said:

Well, is getting a new sponge filter going to break the bank?

$5.00?  $8.00?

For me, the disruption in viewing pleasure would be enough for me to pull the trigger..

If cost is an issue, I am willing to bet a little superglue could stop the air bubbles…

No it’s more like I don’t want to lose the bacteria. The sponge is not a big deal.

On 8/28/2024 at 9:07 PM, Woowala said:

Just turn the filter, like putting electrical tape over your check engine light. Problem solved. 

My dad was a mechanic and said someone had a check engine light and they drilled through it so they wouldn’t have to see it light up anymore. 🤣He was like, uhhh, so drilling into the light was your only solution, huh?

I have a large square of seeded filter floss sitting next to this sponge filter. Maybe I will wrap that around the plastic instead of using the holey sponge.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:31 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

No it’s more like I don’t want to lose the bacteria. The sponge is not a big deal.

I certainly would not remove it if getting a new sponge filter. I would leave it along with the new sponge filter for about a month, then squeeze it out thoroughly in the tank before retiring it to let that further seed the new one…

• Thanks 1

You're asking for opinions here right? 

Your options are leave it, fix it, or replace, yes? I'd not choose the leave it option. Of the remaining two (fix or replace), I'd prefer the replace option, if possible and subject to properly seeding a new sponge. 

Why would I not leave it? Sponge filters work by creating negative pressure in the inner chamber, causing tank water to be drawn through the sponge pores, from the outside to the inside. Right? If there isn't a pressure difference (bw inside and outside the sponge), water won't actively flow through. In my brain, air leaving the central chamber via any direction other than up suggests that that pressure differential doesn't exist. I'm open to being corrected on this. 

• Thanks 1