Unknown algae

Went on a trip and came back and this stuff has exploded in the tank. No idea what type of algae it is or how to tackle it? I can almost peel it off things in like a sheet. My other tank doesn’t have it at all. 

IMG_2651.jpeg

On 8/27/2024 at 8:03 PM, Cole said:

Went on a trip and came back and this stuff has exploded in the tank. No idea what type of algae it is or how to tackle it? I can almost peel it off things in like a sheet. My other tank doesn’t have it at all. 

IMG_2651.jpeg

I believe that is what they call slime algae. Not 100% sure 

On 8/27/2024 at 8:03 PM, Cole said:

IMG_2651.jpeg

That is some algae right there. Most algae thrives in high light. And outta balance nutrient aquariums. What is your light and what is its setting. Also your feet schedule. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:54 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

That is helpful! I have read this a few months back once.

• Like 1

It’s Cyanobacteria, or Blue Green Algae (BGA). Actually not an algae but a bacteria that photosynthesis’s I believe?

Anyhow, it’s kind of a beast to get rid of. Usually the only way to completely kill it is with a fish medicine called erythromycin (Maracyn). I used Fritz Slime Out on mine and it took care of it super fast.

I haven’t figured out what causes it yet. I eradicated it a few months ago but I’m starting to see it come back in my tank… sigh.

• Like 1