Tips breeding Orange lyretail killifish vs gardneri

KoiAngels

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2024 at 8:19 PM, KoiAngels said:

Do both of them spawn in penn plax egg traps

Your best bet would be to make a spawning mop. For the most part they spawn on plants, roots, etc at the surface of in dirt on the bottom

I have had good luck with both just breeding if free floating moss.   as long as there are tons of places for the fry to hide they will be ok.  i had gardneri  in a bb 10 gal that was about 1/3 dense moss.

• 2 weeks later...

Gardneri are dead easy. I had some in a heavily planted 10 gallon and more just kept showing up. If you’re going for numbers pulling a floating mop every 24-48 hours is how I’d do it. I recently traded mine in for credit because I couldn’t get them to STOP breeding. You can dry incubate the eggs in damp peat too. If you pick eggs from mops and place in peat you could potentially get hundreds of eggs all eyed up and hatch them all at once. 

I've beeb having trouble breeding rhe golden australe. To be honest it's the only fish I've had a problem with. My gardneri aren't using my spawning mops but I have fry that popped up somehow. I could always tell when the female gardneri was gravid.. almost like a pregnant guppy just not as drastic. I have yet to see my golden australe female with any eggs. I'm hoping she is too young.. if not idk. I tried looking online at what age/size aphyosemion became sexually mature and I couldn't find anything. I'm going to try the peat moss dish method. Let me know if you have success. I've found with my apistos PH has a lot to do with it.