Pest Algae vs Good Algae(?)

I brought some plants I had in my tank to my Lfs so I could trade them in for some store credit. The employee told me that she couldn't take them cuz they had a "pest algae" on them. But I thought that algae was good/ok? I'm confused and need some clarification from ya'll's smart fishy brains. 🙂

On 8/9/2024 at 2:44 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

I brought some plants I had in my tank to my Lfs so I could trade them in for some store credit. The employee told me that she couldn't take them cuz they had a "pest algae" on them. But I thought that algae was good/ok? I'm confused and need some clarification from ya'll's smart fishy brains. 🙂

What kind of algae? Usually it is not really a good thijng

On 8/9/2024 at 3:49 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

What kind of algae? Usually it is not really a good thijng

its green hair algae that I have. I guess I was confused because some people have like algae carpets or whatever and its everywhere in the wild. (kelp is a type of algae) 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 3:56 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

its green hair algae that I have. I guess I was confused because some people have like algae carpets or whatever and its everywhere in the wild. (kelp is a type of algae) 

Yes that is true but the pet store would prob refuse just like they did. Not really “pest algae” but ya.

I think people consider algae as a pest because it doesn’t look good and, in large amounts, can prevent plant growth. But it takes up nutrients like ammonia and stuff from the water and is a good food source for some fish so it’s technically still beneficial to the tank ecosystem.

But green hair algae isn’t any more of a pest than other algae’s are 🙂

• Like 2

If I was buying plants at a pet store, I wouldnt be willing to buy plants with visible algae on them…

I usually prune off any leaf starting to get algae as they generally do not recover and the more algae I get out of the tank, they less algae that is in there to seed more…  I am certainly not going to buy algae to putin the tank…

I wouldnt be surprised to find that a common sentiment…

• Like 4