Feedback please!

This was my tank before

20240729_030807.jpg.e71c9c78e283aa7907dc6c35ea1b36c7.jpg

So I experimented with a background

20240803_080113.jpg.e249904d7e1a923a91ac45456347f393.jpg20240803_080117.jpg.a5a351f8da81fdf41f3296eaf801a08d.jpg20240803_080121.jpg.02c739bd27e73cfaf47cd43d18e61a61.jpg

Would it be nice with a lighter background...? I feel like the blackness maybe makes it weird. I don't know. I am not very happy with it

Maybe I need to add more stone... maybe its the composition... or maybe I need to rearrange my plants. Something's off and I am not sure what it is.

• Love 1

I think the black is fine but you are probably used to seeing it the other way. You will adjust. I did lighter backgrounds on my 20 gallon tanks with window film (that has a pattern on it). Colors do definitely make a difference. Most people do black because it gives a tank depth and the colors pop more. I can say with the background on the below tank some things blend into the background which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want to see in a tank. 

image000000(201).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks ya'll! I was thinking that maybe the compositions is quite messy as well...? If I move the plants and make the scape a bit more corner heavy towards the cave? I wanted more stones but I don't have any, I think atleast maybe it would be more aesthetically pleasing with more hardscape. Question is, if I should add wood or if I should take another trip to the beach and find more rocks haha. My plans were to just focus on stones and leave out wood for this one but maybe some wood would actually benefit the design 🤔 

About the background maybe I'll keep it if the rearrangement of the scape is the missing peace otherwise I'll try a lighter background, maybe something ocean-like or a gradient 

• Like 1

definitely better with the background.  I too am a big fan of a simple black background.

pet peeve of mine but I would move heaven and earth to not see that naked light bulb behind the cave.  I get what you're going for though and love the scape. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 1:49 AM, Woowala said:

definitely better with the background.  I too am a big fan of a simple black background.

pet peeve of mine but I would move heaven and earth to not see that naked light bulb behind the cave.  I get what you're going for though and love the scape. 

Would you prefer a dimmer light or what do you mean? I now simply turned of the light and it looks like this

20240809_015813.jpg.d29935ef1f6947c49b7cddab6d5e3252.jpg

the water is not very clear because I had to rescape it, the cave broke when I added the wood. Behind the cave there is transparent plastic so when the water is clearer and the room lit up you would not see the black background behind the cave

Edited by VanDogh

I just mean I hate being blasted in the eyes with an exposed light when I look at my tanks.  Like if you have a tank light well above the lid, I hate seeing that exposed light when looking at the tank.  I think if it could be done so that the cave is lit up without seeing the light bulb, that would look much better.  But like I said, that might just be me.  If you like it, then I think it looks great. 🙂

If the silicone doesn't work out and the cave isn't structurally sound, try a 2 part epoxy like jb water weld.  Not sure if they have that in Europe, but something like that made for potable water systems.  Cures quickly and works great.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 2:38 AM, Woowala said:

Like if you have a tank light well above the lid, I hate seeing that exposed light when looking at the tank

Like this?

20240809_040513.jpg.a8b1fa8f09db72208baffed8533cc1a7.jpg

I think if it could be done so that the cave is lit up without seeing the light bulb, that would look much better.

That is very true. I will move the lamp a bit more to the back and put some more transparent plastic in front, to dim the light. Hopefully it won't look too bright 👍

If the silicone doesn't work out and the cave isn't structurally sound, try a 2 part epoxy like jb water weld.  Not sure if they have that in Europe, but something like that made for potable water systems.  Cures quickly and works great.

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like a good material, I am actually not sure if it exists here but I will have a look. For now the cave stands, it broke when I was adjusting the wood piece to much; limited space between the glass and the branches ended up pushing the stones around too much. For my next project if it needs to hold much stones I think your advice might be more reliable!

Yes like that.  That isn't too bad when it's right on the lid, but for me I hate having to move the light to get into the tank so I suspend the light, but then I have to put something up to block it. 

The two part epoxy is commonly used in reef tanks (or it was around 10 years ago when I was doing them) to glue big rocks together and attach corals. As long as it's made for potable water it should be good. Cures underwater too so you can work with wet rocks. Great stuff.