Java Fern- crazy roots?

Could someone please tell me what's going on with my Java Fern? I didn't want to glue the plant to a rock or a piece of driftwood. So, I anchored it to the substrate with some lead weights. There are these stringy brown threads coming out of the rhizome. Are these roots? How come the roots aren't going into the substrate. What can I do to help this plant grow?

IMG_20240731_081042808.jpg.4dcb4d4781368088e4167ceccd4452a0.jpg

On 7/31/2024 at 9:12 AM, Knew tooth is said:

What can I do to help this plant grow?

It might like some more potassium…

As to gluing it to a rock, it doesnt have to be a big decorative rock.  You can glue it to a smallish rock, just big enough to weigh it down reliably.  You can submerge the majority of the rock under the substrate so it isnt as visible.  To my eye it looks better than a metal plant weight.

Edited by Pepere

On 7/31/2024 at 9:41 AM, Knew tooth is said:

Aren't the roots supposed to grow into the substrate?

Plantlets typically go with the flow until they snag on something like a rock or driftwood. The roots than tend to attach to the rock or driftwood.

On 7/31/2024 at 9:45 AM, Knew tooth is said:

Don't plantlets grow out from the leaves?

Yes, then they dislodge and free float in the water column…. Until they snag on something…

Edited by Pepere

On 7/31/2024 at 10:00 AM, Knew tooth is said:

These roots look like they're coming from the rhizome, not the leaves.

They are.  When a Java Fern starts having plantlets they form on the leaves and at the base of the plantlet you will see the rhizome and rootlets form.

• Like 1

They are coming from the rhizome.  Plantlets form their own tiny rhizome & roots before they detach. Java fern feeds mainly from the water so roots are kind of haphazard. You can tuck them gently into the gravel if you want. The above advice about glueing to a small rock is what i do. 

They are super slow growing but making sure they have all the ingredients for growth helps. They don't like to be moved once established. They wont die back, but they will stall for a bit. 

One thing that really helped mine was to up the gH with Equilibrium buffer...but i have really soft water so they were missing calcium & magnesium. 

• 2 weeks later...