Tank cycling question

Hello all!

I have a quick question about cycling a tank when transferring all material from one aquarium to another. I currently have a fully operational tank with fish, sand, filtration, etc but I will be moving everything into another tank. I will be adding Fluval Stratum underneath the sand but everything else will be a direct swap. If I have a new tank with new Stratum but established sand, wood, plants, and water, do I need to go through the full cycle again? I was thinking of dosing with seachem stability and prime as I add the fish. Since many of you all have set up multiple tanks I wanted to ask. Thank you!

• Like 1

If you safely move established filter, it should be mostly fine. But moving wood is not enough, bacteria lives on the surface so moving water doesnt make much sense other than keeping the parameters same, and the top of sand where it meets the water usually home nitrification bacteria and when you move it to another tank you will whether intentionally or unintentionally mess it up, so I wouldn't count myself preserving the bacteria on the surface exactly making it to the next tank without any damage. 

You need to cycle again if you ask me. Just these objects you move will introduce some live bacteria but that's it. You won't transfer your cycle. You will mainly lose your cycle by the time your reset your filter.

IF you preserve and move filter media safely then you are probably okay

Edited by Lennie

I have short cutted cycling a new tank by just running a new tank’s sponge filter for a week or longer in an established tank. I also took several sets of 8-10 bio ring ceramic filter and strung a zip tie through it like a bracelet and let them be in an established tank until I need them (from the “MEDAKA RICE FISH OUTDOORS” YouTube channel). 

Bottom line, you’re moving everything, so no need to restart your cycle. Maybe cut back on feeding for the first week if you’re being really conservative. 

• Like 1