Getting a new tank established

I know there’s an absolute boatload of “cycling” questions out there already, but I have a few that I haven’t found the answer for yet. Trying to get this new 29 established.
1. I’ve seen this “new tank guide” floating around a bit. It’s from the George Farmer aquascaping book apparently. Has anyone used this? Would you consider using this? 
IMG_0892.jpeg.7355615023a49986835eb5ad48ede0cc.jpeg

2. I’ve got a sponge filter seeding in my established 10g. How long does it need to sit in there for it to actually carry a good amount of BB? Weeks? Days?

3. When is the best time to add plants? Do y’all put plants in as soon as you set up a tank? Or do you let it sit with no light/plants/bottler bacteria etc for a hot minute?

I guess I’m just wanting your opinion on if you set up a new tank right now, what do you prefer to do? I’m also not against fish in cycling at all, I’ve just never done it before.

Thanks for tolerating me and all my billions of questions.😂

If you have a seeded sponge filter it should be ready to go day 1. Over time it'll spread to the rest of the surfaces but start with a few fish and add slowly while watching water params.

Personally, I just leave water alone unless something is wrong and do a 50% change about every 3 weeks. The main thing is no ammonia and nitrites and low nitrates. But everyone has their own opinion on water changes

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 2:56 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

How long does it need to sit in there for it to actually carry a good amount of BB?

a couple of weeks for a new sponge would be best. gives the BB time to establish in the sponge. I have gone so far as to keep a sponge in anything 20 gallons and over.  I find I love this way of starting new tanks as it's an almost instant cycle. so much more efficient than sitting around waiting for a month or two. And if you have any doubt, you could always supplement it with some fritz7. And extra sponges can be used in a quarantine tank for new fish as needed. Extra sponges are great!

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 1:28 PM, Tony s said:

I love this way of starting new tanks as it's an almost instant cycle

I agree. It’s such a painfully long wait when you don’t have any filter media to throw in! Do you use Fritz Zyme with success? There’s such mixed opinions on that but I feel like it can’t hurt.

I have never had a problem with it. It usually does a very nice job. In fact, I just got a new bottle Sunday. I did actually have a problem with a seeded sponge. Apparently the last one I used was completely clogged. Which doesn’t help cycling a tank. The guppies in there were acting weird. So I tried to increase the flow. It didn’t actually increase. I had a “you big dummy, clean your filter first “ kind of moment. 

• Like 2

@EricksonAquaticsI think George’s algorithm is sound. It’s for a brand new start tank without benefits of added bacteria. However, with a seeded sponge filter that changes the game completely. You can also remove some plant mass from your established tank and or a small amount of substrate and all of that can help cycle the tank quickly. You know from your 10 g a cycled aquarium and a mature aquarium are 2 different animals and you should still slowly stick the tank to let the BB and biofilter build. I think the Fritzyme product does work and I’ve had good success. In large tanks 40 g and up I’ve done a half a bottle at the start and seen great results. Look forward to seeing some pics and updates. Have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will still seed. I have nano sponges I keep in my 55 grow out tank to keep them seeded. I’ve never hooked up air to them in that tank, but when I put them in a grow out tank for fry they process ammonia and nitrite. 

General knowledge is that in an established tank everything wet will have beneficial bacteria. You don’t hook up air to your driftwood, but the driftwood still grows beneficial bacteria on it. 

• Thanks 1