Early Columnaris?? Please help!

blyatboy

Hello all. A couple of days ago, I noticed a guppy with small, raised, white growths near the base of her pectoral fins, as well as what looked like dead white skin on the rim of her eyes. I isolated her immediately. The day after, another guppy showed the same symptoms near the eyes.

It could be popeye, but I'm not sure. I started to suspect a bacterial infection, since I read that popeye is a symptom of that.

r/Aquariums - Early Columnaris?? Please help!

Last night, I started to notice a very thin white perimeter on the lips of some guppies in the main tank. It is not protruding right now and doesn't affect their eating. Granted, I can't be sure if they were always like this, but I'm starting to worry that it is columnaris.

Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrates around 40ppm. The tank is admittedly overstocked and I am starting 20% daily water changes.

Am I overreacting? I cannot observe any behavioral changes yet. None of the fish have "saddleback" or torn fins either.

I have already prepared some medicated food with Kanaplex and Metroplex, but I'm still uncertain. Should I begin dosing? Or wait for more symptoms before pulling the trigger? What should I look out for?

Any insight or advice would be highly appreciated! 🙏🙏

On 7/15/2024 at 4:40 AM, blyatboy said:

Hello all. A couple of days ago, I noticed a guppy with small, raised, white growths near the base of her pectoral fins, as well as what looked like dead white skin on the rim of her eyes. I isolated her immediately. The day after, another guppy showed the same symptoms near the eyes.

It could be popeye, but I'm not sure. I started to suspect a bacterial infection, since I read that popeye is a symptom of that.

Last night, I started to notice a very thin white perimeter on the lips of some guppies in the main tank. It is not protruding right now and doesn't affect their eating. Granted, I can't be sure if they were always like this, but I'm starting to worry that it is columnaris.

Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrates around 40ppm. The tank is admittedly overstocked and I am starting 20% daily water changes.

Am I overreacting? I cannot observe any behavioral changes yet. None of the fish have "saddleback" or torn fins either.

I have already prepared some medicated food with Kanaplex and Metroplex, but I'm still uncertain. Should I begin dosing? Or wait for more symptoms before pulling the trigger? What should I look out for?

Any insight or advice would be highly appreciated! 🙏🙏

Looking at the pictures it could have a bacterial component kanaplex isn't effective in food as very little of the medication is adsorbed by the intestinal tract so not a lot of medication makes it into the blood stream what I would do is dose the tank with kanaplex and do a course of metroplex in food for a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment feeding a small amount of metroplex twice a day for 7 days and add an extra air stone during treatment 

On 7/15/2024 at 9:20 PM, Guupy42 said:

I notoced that some of the fishes mouths are stuck open, which unfortunately is a symptom of Columnaris. You will probably want to consider quarantining your fish, because Columnaris is highly contagious.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/columnaris-disease-in-aquarium-fish-1378480

https://fishlab.com/columnaris/

I'm actually certain their mouths are not stuck in any way. It was just feeding time and they're going crazy. Pics are not the best, I know. Sorry!

Still, I know it could be columnaris, so I'm quarantining every symptomatic fish I see.