New tank, zero algae and ammonia/nitrite/nitrates

I have a new 10 gallon aquarium, no co2. I've had setup for about 2-3 weeks, 2ml of easy green (2 pumps) and 1ml of easy potassium for mainly anubias and java fern species, as well as red root floater, java moss, etc. I've had literally zero algae, zero nitrates, and no matter how much fertilizer or decomposing fish food I add (zero life besides beneficial bacteria and plants) I cannot get my nitrogen contents past 5, my plants barely get enough nitrates. Should I add shrimp? Then again, I also have the problem of no algae and barely any biofilm. Note that I only have a sponge filter. Is this because I'm using R/O water and adding minerals via seachem equilibrium instead of using water straight from the tap de-chlorinated?  How can I get some nitrates going? Note that I do not want to change my light schedule for more algae, as it is perfect for my plants already and I do not want to mess that up.

On 7/14/2024 at 9:14 PM, Jayden Gomez said:

I've had literally zero algae, zero nitrates, and no matter how much fertilizer or decomposing fish food I add (zero life besides beneficial bacteria and plants) I cannot get my nitrogen contents past 5,

Did you add in a beneficial bacteria. Two - three weeks is generally way too fast to cycle a tank. Unless you used a seeded sponge filter or othe seeded material. Do you have your readings on ammonia and nitrites?

as a general rule, shrimps do best on older tanks that have a bit of built up funk in them. They usually don’t do well at all in brand new tanks. 

to increase your nitrates you could start adding a fertilizer like easy green and dose until it reads 20 ppm nitrates. This balanced fertilizer will help replace some of the nutrients the ro removes. Your plants will greatly appreciate it 

I use ro. It generally doesn’t do anything to the nitrate content 

Each pump of easy green adds 3 ppm nitrate to 10 gallons of water.

an embarrassing mistake I made early on was thinking that bottle 1 and bottle 2 of API Ammonia Test and Nitrate test was due to the fact the test required more drops so they provided 2 bottles wort for those two tests.

i had no ammonia and minimal nitrates early on cause I was only adding detops from one bottle….  I was in too much of a hurry to read the pamphlet and besides, the bottles told me how many drops to add….

Once I read the instructions in full and followed them I was getting different results…

• Like 1

Instead of mucking with decaying food just buy a bottle of ammonia and dose to 2ppm. You have no idea what the rate of decay is it if it's enough and the plants may just be grabbing it.

Again assuming you are adding bacteria.

Edited by Lonkley
  • Like 1