UGF Help

I have scoured the interwebs for an answer to this question with no luck- so i figured I would try here 🙂

Is there an ideal placement of the airstone in the lift tube? Should it be touching the plate? Slightly above plate? Above gravel line? Is there a way to know its properly creating a good enough flow; will there be a visible rhythm to how the bubbles and water come out of the tubes? 

i have 10gal tank with a dual line adjustable air pump, two lift tubes off the ugf. Tank is about 2 weeks into cycling- i have mopani wood and plants that I planted in tiny pots with substrate, a few pond snails that just hatched, and some tadpoles i put in to keep my son entertained while we wait. PH slightly elevated at 8, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia. Using a 75%/25% mix of well water and filtered tap (well is hard water and alkaline at 8.8ph, filtered is 6.8 ph)

• Like 1

I tried in many positions with 16 ugf filters. I can see under my tanks.  Slightly above the gravel so the bottom of the airstone is level with the top of the gravel kept underneath the plate the cleanest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I run mine at the bottom just above the plate. If your plate has a short nub sticking up I put the stone right there so you don't see it if that bothers you. The stone makes the difference .I find large bubbles work better. If the stone goes below the plate all the bubbles will not go up the tube and cut down the flow.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Yes im having issues with the airstones. The two that came with the UGF - one worked perfect and the other didnt. Just picked up some generic ones from petco and the bubbles are borderline micro- so I'm a little frustrated with that. I can tell now after switching the airstones that the bubbles are too small to even push the water up and out. Can you recommend any airstones? 

Here is what I unfortunately just installed

On 7/7/2024 at 2:17 PM, BellaNova said:

Can you recommend any airstones? 

I've only ever used Ziss never-clog airstones, based on how much the rest of the community here likes them. I think they're great but have literally no basis for comparison.

Edited to add: apparently they don't call them "never clog" anymore. Anyway, these: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-pumps/products/never-clog-air-stone

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Without question if you want maximum flow with air driven UGF….  Make an adapter and fit easy flow kits instead of the stock air riser tube.

the difference in flow is amazing….

An airstone in the riser tube imposes a significant flow restriction.  The Easy Flow kits air collar eliminates that restriction.   The curved exit tube of the easy flow kit substantially decreases flow restriction of the stock right angle exits of the stock air riser….

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Powerheads work well, yet it is another two energized conductors entering the water…

I much prefer my conductors out of the water going to an epoxy potted canister head on tanks that have powered filtration…

the Easy Flow kits are pretty amazing.  I was quite skeptical about them until I saw video of them in action…. I was impressed enough to order a few, and I am more impressed after using them…

It does bear mentioning that increasing the flow does not dramatically increase biofiltration.  Iirc I read where adding a powerhead only increases biofiltration around 20% over stock air risers with airstones.

Increasing flow is still a good idea though if you have live plants.  It reliably circulares available nutrients to the plants and flushes away from the plants , botanical metabolic waste products…

• Love 1

When I used to run UGF I didn't use air stones in the uplift tubes. I would use a piece of rigid airline tube that was just open on the end. I always thought that an airstone in the tube took up 1/3-1/2 of the diameter of the uplift tube, and the rigid tubing was thinner so less in the way of the air and water to rise.