Substrate/ botanicals questions

Substrate. Why does it confuse me so much?

Don't answer that... my blondeness is showing...

I have already set up my tank but am already having doubts about my uninformed choices. I honestly didn't realize that there was more to choosing substrate than just what color and whether to use sand or gravel.

What I have is black sand of some sort. I don't recall the brand, just that it said it would sparkle under water. With that is some blue gravel that I regret but have opted to leave for now.

I have since heard people mention added dried leaves and other botanicals to the tank for their snails and/or to add tannins. Such discussions usually include mention of mulm which acts as fertilizer for the plants.

So, can y'all help a lady understand in terms of my aquarium and the livestock intended therein what would be beneficial and thus what I should be researching?

Tank is 20g planted. Livestock planned include Betta, corydoras, snails, and tetras and/or rasboras. 

• Like 1

Ok, botanicals are seed pods and leaves etc.  some critters like munching on them, when they break down the turn into mulm or compost which feeds the plants in your planted aquarium.  Now if you are picky about how tidy the tank looks.  You can vacuum it up.  I let it build up but my tank looks kinda like a 80 gallon jungle.

Your critters will love having it and sitting through it looking for bits of food.

• Like 3

On 7/2/2024 at 5:21 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Ok, botanicals are seed pods and leaves etc.  some critters like munching on them, when they break down the turn into mulm or compost which feeds the plants in your planted aquarium.  Now if you are picky about how tidy the tank looks.  You can vacuum it up.  I let it build up but my tank looks kinda like a 80 gallon jungle.

Your critters will love having it and sitting through it looking for bits of food.

So, any dried leaves and plant matter or does it matter?  

The messiness will be a problem. My hubby is retired military.  I even pulled a few plants out that caused an untidy appearance.  I may try keeping the botanicals behind the sunken ship and keeping the front of the tank substrate more clean and tidy. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 5:42 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

So, any dried leaves and plant matter or does it matter?  

The messiness will be a problem. My hubby is retired military.  I even pulled a few plants out that caused an untidy appearance.  I may try keeping the botanicals behind the sunken ship and keeping the front of the tank substrate more clean and tidy. 

Technically yes but practice I’d stay away from grass and the like oak leafs are a common choice if you want to buy them catappa leafs Alder cones stuff like pine cones wouldn’t be great because of there sap  they will also make your water a little brown so keep that in mind 

and trying to keep it in one place will be difficult it’s very light so tender to go wherever it wants lol

this is my tank it’s the wood breaking down in my case 

IMG_1681.jpeg.7ebc5c5ed47a96e98c81bd10b7729c29.jpegIMG_1680.jpeg.a2f2bf62a9029cee0b392d222536ebbe.jpeg

Edited by face
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 6:32 PM, face said:

Technically yes but practice I’d stay away from grass and the like oak leafs are a common choice if you want to buy them catappa leafs Alder cones stuff like pine cones wouldn’t be great because of there sap  they will also make your water a little brown so keep that in mind 

and trying to keep it in one place will be difficult it’s very light so tender to go wherever it wants lol

this is my tank it’s the wood breaking down in my case 

IMG_1681.jpeg.7ebc5c5ed47a96e98c81bd10b7729c29.jpegIMG_1680.jpeg.a2f2bf62a9029cee0b392d222536ebbe.jpeg

Yeah, hubby would not like that at all. I am torn as I see the benefits but I also want a purty tank. Funny because my landscape style is all about woodchips and decaying leaves and all the creepy crawlies because I am trying to turn beach sand into soil. 😂 

But, I can easily add some oak and mulberry leaves for the snails and corys and then vacuum up the leftovers.

Edited by TinaPax-Peeks
Added a thought
  • Like 1

In nature, sand comes from massive river flow, massive tides, and massive waves, all wearing down rocks into fine media.

You don’t see a lot of plants thriving in sand. We have some local conifers which grow in sand because they can access the local water table.

Plants thrive with decomposing matter, or external sources, like the stuff from ACO.

• Like 1

I love my Blackwater (heavy tannins) tanks, but if you’re going for a clean look, then botanicals and leaves probably won’t be your thing. 

My thought is that nature doesn’t perfectly place wood, rocks, leaves, botanicals, etc. so I really enjoy the natural look. I just huck my botanicals in the tank and where they end up is where they end up. 

IMG_7257.jpeg.c03d58abc7e2102bfef3297b7da8bf0e.jpeg

IMG_7248.jpeg.9a6f48152a344039fbce02c1e88eaeb3.jpeg

• Like 3

If you’re wanting to dip your toes into botanicals I would try the Catappa Leaves from the Co Op. If you add a few they slightly tint the water and are easy to remove when they start breaking down. I use them in my betta tank but since I only have one snail to munch on it, I usually take it out when it starts getting holes etc

On 7/2/2024 at 5:42 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

My hubby is retired military. 

Army veteran here I have some plants botanicals in a couple of my aquariums. Tell your husband the botanicals will actually help keeping fish healthy. Also thank him for me for his service. 😄

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 8:24 AM, Tlindsey said:

Army veteran here I have some plants botanicals in a couple of my aquariums. Tell your husband the botanicals will actually help keeping fish healthy. Also thank him for me for his service. 😄

He is also Army. Thank YOU for your service!

I will tell him the botanicals are Army approved! Lol

• Haha 1