Update Chili Rasboras (5/15 surviving)

Posted (edited)

After a couple weeks it seems like 5 of the 15 CR are doing well. Very active/ feeding/ exploring but still not colored much however I’ve read it can be a long time since juveniles(??) 

my nitrites went up to .25 a couple days ago 😟however. I think I over fed x2 dsys

10 gal 
nitrates are 25 or less, pH 6.8-7 , ammonia (by API ) 0, GH 100, KH40

what I’ve done:

two small 10-20% water changes 

added some Bioboost x 2 days

dosed with Fritz conditioner ( as per label) to detoxify nitrite.
added 1tsp dissolved aquarium salt

This morning still reading 25 nitrite.
ANY advice for today?? I’d hate to harm my 5 CR and the 6 Amanos from not doing something I have not thought/read about.

Bigger water change???? Advice welcomed!!!!!

IMG_8254.jpeg

Edited by Potterygal
Typo nitrate, #3

With all the above measures I’m still doing, including very sparse feeding, when should I expect a drop to 0? It seems stubbornly staying at this low but unacceptable level.? Could it be the end stage of a full cycling? This set up is under 2 months old.( Ammonia 0)

On 7/3/2024 at 10:40 AM, Potterygal said:

With all the above measures I’m still doing, including very sparse feeding, when should I expect a drop to 0? It seems stubbornly staying at this low but unacceptable level.? Could it be the end stage of a full cycling? This set up is under 2 months old.( Ammonia 0)

Yes, it could still be late stage cycling. Fishless cycling of 6-8 weeks sounds about right. You can always do another water change, either a 50% or a few smaller ones over the next few days, and keep using the Fritz conditioner as per the directions.

Have you tested your tap water at all? I know ammonia and nitrate can both show up out of the tap; I don't know that nitrite can but I suppose it could. If that's the case, water changes might actually make it worse until the cycle is fully established.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 3:40 PM, Potterygal said:

I would do is test daily  and do a water changes and add a double dose of prime or fritz complete every time you detect nitrite till it constantly stays at zero it can take a couple of weeks for the tank to fully cycle 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Thank you for replies. I squeezed out imh sponge filter n a portion of tank water, but cleaned all the other parts w a brush and my filter is going so much better now so that might help too, as it was bubbling very weakly, this is my first sponge filter and I had not squeezed out yet since tank set up. So now I know that when it slows it needs mechanical cleaning. Maybe that will help another newbie to sponge filter maintenance. 
today I got  some API Quick Start and dosed it.  I still have Fritz - should I not be mixing in a 24 hr time period? 
All the fish and shrimp are very active and looking good so hopefully after I get over this nitrite issue it will stabilize. 
im afraid to do 50.% water chsnge with the livestock - msybe too much shock?

I did test my tap water and it was 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, ph7, and soft. My tank readings both are on the hard side 150-200 but I’ve been putting in a small  wonder shell in each, 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:26 PM, Potterygal said:

Thank you for replies. I squeezed out imh sponge filter n a portion of tank water, but cleaned all the other parts w a brush and my filter is going so much better now so that might help too, as it was bubbling very weakly, this is my first sponge filter and I had not squeezed out yet since tank set up. So now I know that when it slows it needs mechanical cleaning. Maybe that will help another newbie to sponge filter maintenance. 
today I got  some API Quick Start and dosed it.  I still have Fritz - should I not be mixing in a 24 hr time period? 
All the fish and shrimp are very active and looking good so hopefully after I get over this nitrite issue it will stabilize. 
im afraid to do 50.% water chsnge with the livestock - msybe too much shock?

I did test my tap water and it was 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, ph7, and soft. My tank readings both are on the hard side 150-200 but I’ve been putting in a small  wonder shell in each, 

The Fritz product is also bottled bacteria, like the API Quick Start? Mixing them wouldn't be a problem, but it likely wouldn't help, either, unless you don't have enough of one of them to make up a full dose.

Your tap water sounds perfect, so that's great news. I don't know if you tested freshly drawn tap or 24-hours-aged tap, but some folks' tap water has some dissolved CO2 in it, which is present in water as carbonic acid, and after that CO2 "off-gases" the pH can climb. Probably not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

If you're worried about changing out too much water, you can do more frequent but smaller water changes. That is, instead of a weekly 50% change, you could do twice-weekpy 25% changes.

But if the GH (hardness), KH (buffer), and pH are pretty close to the tap, you're probably fine anyway.

I’m getting very close to 0 Nitrites and will let it stabilize for a few weeks but excited to then add to my chilis! The five are active and starting to color up a little more. Being patient ! I will NOT order again from my LFS. I plan to order from DansFish eventually. In a 10 g with only 6 Amanos besides the 5 chilis , ANY advice on # to order?? I will not be adding any other variety. Any other reputable supplier names as option, though I have researched Dans and like what I see. 

thank you.

• Love 1