what to bring? (picking up a complete setup with fish)

We are heading over today to pickup a complete 10g setup with plants and fish from someone less experienced than I, a newbie. There are 4 tetras.

I want to bring the right tools and equipment over to the seller's house so my family can transport back to our home an hour away.

Here's what I was thinking, anything missing?

2 nets for catching fish

container with lid for fish transport

water change hose for draining tank

2 bins or buckets with lids

plastic shoveling tool

large yard trash bags

towels

We will

1. drain tank halfway, placing some of it in bucket A

2. remove plants, equipment and hardscape, placing plants in bucket A and the rest in bucket B

3. catch fish and place in bucket A

4. use plastic shovel to move as much of substrate into bucket B

5. place tank in trash bag (protect vehicle carpet from drips)

6. collect all other accessories and place in trash bags

7. Line vehicle with towels just in case

Am I overthinking?

Screenshot_20240630-094314.png.25706c5b64ffaf91e5f3385970bd16b8.png

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 9:43 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

We are heading over today to pickup a complete 10g setup with plants and fish from someone less experienced than I, a newbie. There are 4 tetras.

I want to bring the right tools and equipment over to the seller's house so my family can transport back to our home an hour away.

Here's what I was thinking, anything missing?

2 nets for catching fish

container with lid for fish transport

water change hose for draining tank

2 bins or buckets with lids

plastic shoveling tool

large yard trash bags

towels

We will

1. drain tank halfway, placing some of it in bucket A

2. remove plants, equipment and hardscape, placing plants in bucket A and the rest in bucket B

3. catch fish and place in bucket A

4. use plastic shovel to move as much of substrate into bucket B

5. place tank in trash bag (protect vehicle carpet from drips)

6. collect all other accessories and place in trash bags

7. Line vehicle with towels just in case

Am I overthinking?

Screenshot_20240630-094314.png.25706c5b64ffaf91e5f3385970bd16b8.png

That plan sounds perfect! If you've got a USB powered air filter you might drop an airline or airstone into the tank with the fish, but four tetras in 5-ish gallons for an hour should be more than fine. Good luck!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 10:35 AM, lefty o said:

not going to lie, with a 10 gallon, id drain about 6 or 7 gallons of water, pick the tank up and carry it away.

You're right! If I find that the tank looks suspiciously leaky, I will bucket the fish. The whole thing is free.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 10:35 AM, lefty o said:

not going to lie, with a 10 gallon, id drain about 6 or 7 gallons of water, pick the tank up and carry it away.

Agree. If you’re worried about sloshing around. I might pull the hardscape and put in a bucket 

• Like 2

I personally would remove the fish put them in the  bucket. Place the sponge filters and ornaments in a bucket with the sponge filters with enough water to keep sponge filters moist. Drain the aquarium down to the bottom level of the substrate. You don't need to worry about taking the rest of the aquarium water with you. Look at it as a large water change just don't forget the dechlorinator for added water. Also keep temp close to the temp of the bucket with the fish in it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just got home!

We just took the water down to 2 inches, and removed equipment and hardscape. Covered with cling wrap, to contain sloshes.

Check out my haul! The lady was so generous. She was getting out of the hobby. Couldn't keep up with water changes. Kinda sad. I traded other things with her, since I felt guilty taking so much.

20240630_184806-COLLAGE.jpg.5c1ac411c94935316587d6a64ef63341.jpg

3 black skirt and 1 neon tetra in quarantine (only one visible in photo):Screenshot_20240630-185332.png.b06da127bad90506480b0b0834e1f1e4.png

Not pictured: two more sponge filters

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 4

On 6/30/2024 at 7:03 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Just got home!

We just took the water down to 2 inches, and removed equipment and hardscape. Covered with cling wrap, to contain sloshes.

Check out my haul! The lady was so generous. She was getting out of the hobby. Couldn't keep up with water changes. Kinda sad. I traded other things with her, since I felt guilty taking so much.

20240630_184806-COLLAGE.jpg.5c1ac411c94935316587d6a64ef63341.jpg

3 black skirt and 1 neon tetra in quarantine (only one visible in photo):Screenshot_20240630-185332.png.b06da127bad90506480b0b0834e1f1e4.png

Not pictured: two more sponge filters

Great job and nice of you trade something for the aquarium. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2024 at 7:32 PM, Tlindsey said:

Great job and nice of you trade something for the aquarium. 

I don't know how I would store all this. I would love a lot of shelves, clear labeling and organizing. Maybe someday.

I gave her my 3 month old plastic no-filter, no-air, topoff-only cube with a tiny female endler, snails and hornwort, plus another plastic cube with a red tiger lotus I had been growing for 2 months in a sand-filled pot. The cubes have water-proof lids for use when transport/moving. Also brought her a tiny house plant.

• Like 2
  • Love 1