New hobbyist here!

greetings and love from MN! i'm a huge shrimp fanatic and i can finally say that after getting in the right financial situation, i'm starting up my very own tank! i'm still waiting on live plants and, of course, the shrimp, but i think i've got a good start going so far. aquarium co-op has had my back in this journey and i'm grateful! excited to meet the community here and learn from others, plus all the shrimp pics haha

i'm planning on a species-only tank of blue dream and green jade cherry shrimp! i'm really excited for when the time comes that the tank'll be ready and mature enough for em.

IMG_4037.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 6/30/2024 at 12:42 AM, Saspitite said:

greetings and love from MN! i'm a huge shrimp fanatic and i can finally say that after getting in the right financial situation, i'm starting up my very own tank! i'm still waiting on live plants and, of course, the shrimp, but i think i've got a good start going so far. aquarium co-op has had my back in this journey and i'm grateful! excited to meet the community here and learn from others, plus all the shrimp pics haha

i'm planning on a species-only tank of blue dream and green jade cherry shrimp! i'm really excited for when the time comes that the tank'll be ready and mature enough for em.

IMG_4037.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Wow! I'm a shrimp newbie 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 4:19 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Welcome to the forum! Cool tank! What kind of plants are you getting? I’m am not a shrimp guy, but a plant guy for sure @Saspitite!

hiya, thank you! i'm currently planning on java fern, windelov, java moss, marimo moss, and potentially considering some carpeting moss in the future if i can appropriate the substrate for it. i have my eyes on either monte carlo or micro sword but that's far from decided and won't be added for a bit anyways. if you have any plant suggestions/tips, i'd love to know!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 11:14 PM, Saspitite said:

hiya, thank you! i'm currently planning on java fern, windelov, java moss, marimo moss, and potentially considering some carpeting moss in the future if i can appropriate the substrate for it. i have my eyes on either monte carlo or micro sword but that's far from decided and won't be added for a bit anyways. if you have any plant suggestions/tips, i'd love to know!

100% recommend micro sword, the best carpeting plant I have, or dwarf sag is another one of my favs.  Anubias is a great plant species as well! Anubias Hastifolia is my fav so far. Windelov java fern is awesome, sadly i tried it at the beginning of my plant experience and it died, glued the roots to tight to the rock piece. I got Monte Carlo once, a great floater actually, kinda falls apart and turns into duckweed lol. But you can definitely bury it in the substrate. (or plant it). Quick Q, what size tank is this again?  Looks like a 5 or 10-gallon. But idk for certain, something nano correct? After those Qs, i have other great plant suggestions!!! 

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 6:59 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

100% recommend micro sword, the best carpeting plant I have, or dwarf sag is another one of my favs.  Anubias is a great plant species as well! Anubias Hastifolia is my fav so far. Windelov java fern is awesome, sadly i tried it at the beginning of my plant experience and it died, glued the roots to tight to the rock piece. I got Monte Carlo once, a great floater actually, kinda falls apart and turns into duckweed lol. But you can definitely bury it in the substrate. (or plant it). Quick Q, what size tank is this again?  Looks like a 5 or 10-gallon. But idk for certain, something nano correct? After those Qs, i have other great plant suggestions!!! 

it's a 10 gal, yeah! i was really considering some anubias too, looks like it'd make a nice mid or background plant

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 8:19 AM, Saspitite said:

it's a 10 gal, yeah! i was really considering some anubias too, looks like it'd make a nice mid or background plant

I have a 10 too, all those plants should work fine!

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

Welcome, Saspitite! I'm located in MN as well! Was that shrimp sticker from Joe's Shrimp Shack? I just stopped in there for the first time last week and loved their sticker selection. I'm a couple months into the hobby, and the Aquarium Co-op videos have had my back as well. New to this forum, but I have had good experiences so far.

Hope your shrimp tank turns out well! 👍

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 9:08 AM, BesidePeacefulWaters said:

Welcome, Saspitite! I'm located in MN as well! Was that shrimp sticker from Joe's Shrimp Shack? I just stopped in there for the first time last week and loved their sticker selection. I'm a couple months into the hobby, and the Aquarium Co-op videos have had my back as well. New to this forum, but I have had good experiences so far.

Hope your shrimp tank turns out well! 👍

hello there! which sticker are you referring to? i got the red cherry shrimp sticker from the co-op themselves, and the cooked shrimp sticker is from an indie artist i met at a stall in an art festival at Stillwater some months ago. i may definitely check out the place you mentioned, though!

hoping your ventures in the hobby are going great, as well!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 2:50 PM, Saspitite said:

hello there! which sticker are you referring to? i got the red cherry shrimp sticker from the co-op themselves, and the cooked shrimp sticker is from an indie artist i met at a stall in an art festival at Stillwater some months ago. i may definitely check out the place you mentioned, though!

hoping your ventures in the hobby are going great, as well!

I was referring to the red cherry shrimp sticker, but it makes sense that aquarium co-op carries them as well. Joe's has a good selection of shrimp and supplies. I also really love the Minneapolis based "Rivershore Aquariums" as well. There are some cool shops around the twin cities!

My adventures are going well, and still learning a ton every day!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2024 at 8:16 PM, Sueet said:

Just wanted to mention if you mix cherry shrimp colors you will end up with a lot of brown/wild type babies.

yup, i'm entirely aware of that! breeding may definitely be a big thing for this tank so i've already accepted the possibility of wild types becoming dominant. in that case, if i wanted to get specific colors again, i can always just selectively breed and cull them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...