Questions about a small tank project.

finn

On 7/12/2024 at 8:10 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Oh ok then your fine, 8 hours is perfect for most plants, and with this hardy anubias, it will be just fine, if you do not want it to get worse just trim the leaves of that are yellow, but mine had that the first couple days and now it is thriving, @finn, love the look of the tank!! Great job!

Yeah honest probably to obsessed with something going wrong. Found a clump of roots coming in the water from my Anubis nana and a white film probably from super glue. Thanks for your help tho!

• Like 2

8 hours is a very long time for a light to be on a newly planted aquarium. The plants you have are all slow growers so you’re going to see an excess of nutrients pop up. I usually start my lights at (2) 4 hour siesta light periods. However, I have built it up to that. I’d imagine you’re going to see a ton of algae. The brown moss is basically dead moss via light burns most likely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 11:52 AM, mynameisnobody said:

8 hours is a very long time for a light to be on a newly planted aquarium. The plants you have are all slow growers so you’re going to see an excess of nutrients pop up. I usually start my lights at (2) 4 hour siesta light periods. However, I have built it up to that. I’d imagine you’re going to see a ton of algae. The brown moss is basically dead moss via light burns most likely. 

Sounds great! Should I start with (2) 3 hour siesta light periods? 

Update: I got some free dwarf hair grass from a local aquarium store it was from an event. What I didn’t notice is there are amano shrimp so I don’t know what to do as my tank isn’t fully cycled…

• Like 3

On 7/7/2024 at 6:32 PM, finn said:

Another update: I purchased all my plants and fertilizer (easy green), including Java fern, Java moss mat, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, Cryptocoryne Parva, and Anubias nana "petite.". 

Question one:

How long should I wait to dose my plants with fertilizer?

Question two: 

Do I need to dechlorinate my water even if there are only plants and do I need tester strips right away as well?

Question three:

Will my black forest driftwood float to the surface?

Dose right after you plant them.  Tweezers help when planting, I prefer the bent tip sort as opposed to the straight ones.  I bought the set with both and the snips as I can readily propagate the stems and more with out even disturbing the plant.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:07 PM, finn said:

Sounds great! Should I start with (2) 3 hour siesta light periods? 

Update: I got some free dwarf hair grass from a local aquarium store it was from an event. What I didn’t notice is there are amano shrimp so I don’t know what to do as my tank isn’t fully cycled…

If the ammonia doesn't get to high the shrimp will be ok 

• Like 1

Okay update on the shrimp turns out there were 3 got them floating in my tank and 2 of them don’t look great they are at the bottom of the bag but there legs are still moving not sure what to do… the other one looks great he/she is having a great time 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have string algae growing all over my plants and the plants especially my Anubis doesn’t look good need advice on what to do I am scared…image.jpg.784cf06c37046ec76f9ad8794ce00c7c.jpgimage.jpg.6836b610576b4193ded9b98b482f1094.jpgimage.jpg.18a8e2abdaa88c82511b55b22ca51c85.jpg

Edited by finn

Lower light. Either how long it is on or how bright it is. And make sure you have a consistent Ferts schedule. @finn

but do not be to scared, everyone that has a planted tank will get algae. Just make sure to clean all the plants of during wcs.

Edited by Whitecloud09

I’d first trim off the dead leaves on your Anubias so it can focus on growing new leaves rather than trying to save dead leaves. 
Just remember this is a new tank - it takes time to balance itself out and get established. Don’t worry too much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tank update: 

one Amano shrimp died about a day ago but the other is still alive…

still suffering from string algae…

should I do a water change?

here are some recent photos…

IMG_7369.jpeg.c072d4a620854d533c431249519c0b78.jpegIMG_7370.jpeg.924c2002b77c5cd43b5189b9661788f1.jpegIMG_7371.jpeg.e17efa9483b3f52eb545208218a1047a.jpeg

Water change whenever your ammonia or nitrite get above 0. If they’re both at 0 and you’ve got nitrate, no need to change water. Sometimes I still do a gravel vac to clean up the algae as kind of a “reset”.

It’s still a new tank trying to figure itself out. Don’t stress too much about the hair algae. Just manually remove as much as you can and keep on rolling 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 1:11 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Water change whenever your ammonia or nitrite get above 0. If they’re both at 0 and you’ve got nitrate, no need to change water. Sometimes I still do a gravel vac to clean up the algae as kind of a “reset”.

It’s still a new tank trying to figure itself out. Don’t stress too much about the hair algae. Just manually remove as much as you can and keep on rolling 🙂

Yeah I did a clean out. I need to buy a test kit still on a budget what should I go for?

• Like 2

On 7/31/2024 at 2:04 PM, finn said:

Yeah I did a clean out. I need to buy a test kit still on a budget what should I go for?

API test kit is around 40 bucks, and tests for nitrite, ammonia, ph, nitrates. It is very good.