Peppered Corydoras and Otocinclus

Hi, 

(I’m Not Looking To Breed These Guys Just So You Know)

again I’m new to this site…So the day before yesterday me and my husband

got a Cory Catfishnamed him (Slime)

then yesterday we got 2 Otocinclus

named them (Mud and Tara)

Well don’t know what we should do as told by

many and different of told by PetSmart 

everyone has said we need 3+ on the Cory’s and 3+ on the Otos and they would then not go after

(Dredd or Slime)

but PetSmart told us we can have 1 Cory and 2 Otos in a 10 Gallon Tank and they would be fine 

but now I’m not so sure as they are in a way chasing the Cory both Otos are 

What can we do? as it is stressful on my husband and me and money pit in a way 

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5729.jpeg

Edited by SlaeStacy
Needed to correct this so people won’t tell me how to breed them

Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful people here. Not a lot of flaming here. First question I have is how old are the tanks. 

the next thing. Both corys and otos prefer to be in groups. And 10 gallons is way too small for a group of peppered corys. For now, I’d increase the number of corys to three or four. it’s not enough but your tank has limits. Otos would also like a group. But should be okay there. Both will eat algae wafers. Maybe. Most otos are wild caught and may not adapt. The best food for them is going to be soft algae on the glass. Or even the slime coat that covers everything. Called biofilm. If your tank is too new, you won’t have either. They can also eat blanched zucchini or cucumber rounds. Microwave them in water until they soften a bit. Stick them with a fork and drop them into the tank. Otos are vegetarian. So the type of algae wafers could matter. Check for mostly plant material on the label. 

as for breeding. Not going to be an issue. Cory eggs left on the glass will be eaten by the corys. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 2:26 AM, Tony s said:

Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful people here. Not a lot of flaming here. First question I have is how old are the tanks. 

the next thing. Both corys and otos prefer to be in groups. And 10 gallons is way too small for a group of peppered corys. For now, I’d increase the number of corys to three or four. it’s not enough but your tank has limits. Otos would also like a group. But should be okay there. Both will eat algae wafers. Maybe. Most otos are wild caught and may not adapt. The best food for them is going to be soft algae on the glass. Or even the slime coat that covers everything. Called biofilm. If your tank is too new, you won’t have either. They can also eat blanched zucchini or cucumber rounds. Microwave them in water until they soften a bit. Stick them with a fork and drop them into the tank. Otos are vegetarian. So the type of algae wafers could matter. Check for mostly plant material on the label. 

as for breeding. Not going to be an issue. Cory eggs left on the glass will be eaten by the corys. 

1st - I Thank You 

2nd - Why are the Otos after the Cory ? I don’t understand and it is hard to really get a bunch of fish as we can’t afford much and sunk in a lot on our Bettas alone.

3rd - Here is my betta -Star- don’t be alarmed but I was told she has a Marbling Gene

4th - um I was meaning on this form lol as I put this post in the wrong form thread 

IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

Otos shouldn’t be after your Cory. For the most part, they shouldn’t show any reaction to other fish at all. They’re one of the most peaceful fish in the hobby. They’re vegetarian. So interest in fish is mostly fear based, almost never aggression. Usually they just mind their own business. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:51 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

My otos swim with my pygmy cory. Maybe your otos aren't chasing, but swimming with them? Are they nipping?

I'm not even sure if otos have the right mouth shape to nip, even if they wanted to. Mine sometimes just zip around the tank for reasons only they understand.

@SlaeStacy, I have otos mixed with corydoras (in my case sterbai cories, but the principal is the same). I wouldn't worry about either species bothering the other at all.

I would worry about increasing their numbers, as @Tony s pointed out, because they're both schooling/shoaling fish. If you just got them, maybe Petsmart would let you return them? That would give you A chance to save up for a small group. Although for a 10 gallon tank, you might prefer a group of a smaller bodied cory. I have Corydoras habrosus, "dainty" or "salt-and-pepper" cories, which are smaller, so you could put a lot more in a 10 gallon tank. I think panda cories would work, too. I'm sorry that it seems like Petsmart gave you bad advice.

@Guppysnail, you can move the thread to General Discussion, right?

• Like 1

1- increase corydoras numbers

2- feed the oto’s well. Usually oto’s don’t last long in a new aquarium. They feed on growth in the aquarium. I don’t think you’ll have enough in a 10 gallon to feed both. I have 1 oto in a 40 and he’s doing great, no bother to any guppies or fry. 
3- money pit? You just started, you have no idea how intense this statement can get when things go abruptly wrong. That’s what usually evolves into a long time keeper or having tried aquariums. This hobby probably has one of the shortest turn arounds in the US at least. Many are deterred because of bad information. Can you keep those 3 in an aquarium? Sure. Can I raise my daughter in a cave? Sure. These are both bad ideas, although technically possible. 

Welcome to the forum.  I am also a newbie to keeping fish.  There is allot of information to learn and sort through!  This is a great place to ask advice.  It isn't always what we want to hear, but still good advice.

My husband and I got a 20 gallon with the idea we could keep two goldfish. Quickly learned that wasn't a good idea. Then, hubby saw the Bettas and fell in love. (He like colorful fish...lol.). Then, I learned about cycling the aquarium. Oh, boy!!  That delayed getting our fish a month. But, I used that month to watch lots of YouTube videos about which fish get along with Bettas and how many of each.

A 10 gallon is a good size for a Betta. You will need to focus on small fish that don't fin nip. I like the otocinclus, too, but decided against them because my tank doesn't have algae yet. I am getting corydoras... probably albino but pandas are cute... decisions decisions!! 

Money pit?  It can be. I think it is important to take it slow and pick fish with budget and suitability in mind.  Good thing about nano tanks (20 gallon and under) is it doesn't take allot of fish to fill it. They require more consistent attention to water chemistry but time isn't as expensive as replacing fish.  

I hope you are enjoying the fish. Don't get discouraged!

• Like 1