This seems like a lot of waste for 3 platys in one day…?

Ph:7-7.5

ammonia >5

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

temp 76

tanks being treated with aquarium salt and prazipro just in case (idk if that’s the right thing to do or not)

food I fed last night and some was leftover in the tank:Repashy solient green.

IMG_2650.jpeg

I plan on getting gravel but I’m just making sure everything’s ok first 

On 6/23/2024 at 12:29 AM, SwimmingBlueberry said:

Ph:7-7.5

ammonia >5

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

temp 76

tanks being treated with aquarium salt and prazipro just in case (idk if that’s the right thing to do or not)

food I fed last night and some was leftover in the tank:Repashy solient green.

IMG_2650.jpeg

I plan on getting gravel but I’m just making sure everything’s ok first 

Feed less. How long has the aquarium been setup? I'm asking because you have 0ppm  Nitrate. Also a ammonia reading >5ppm your 3 platy wouldn't survive. You may be getting a false reading from testing. I suggest siphoning the uneaten food asap. 

• Like 1

Looks like your over feeding I would reduce the amount your feeding if your ammonia is 5ppm that can kill your fish  I would is  two 50% water changes over a 24hr period and add double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia retest daily any time you  detect ammonia do 50% water change and add  a double dose of prime till your ammonia constantly stays at zero 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s the second time you’ve reported ammonia over 5. If you need help getting that down, please ask. It is probably caused by over feeding. Or an uncycled tank. No judgement here, but we really will help. They won’t last long >5 ammonia.

A lot of the time, people go to big box pet stores and they tell you, you can take a tank and fish the same day. It doesn’t work well. Not your fault. But we can work you through this.  Less water changes, safe water

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 1:41 AM, SwimmingBlueberry said:

Everyone I have done a 25-35% water change 

You can dose prime upto 5x the amount when you have high levels of ammonia that can lower the levels of the dissolved oxygen so add an extra air stone if your going to do that but water changes are the best way to get your ammonia under down 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 8:41 PM, SwimmingBlueberry said:

Everyone I have done a 25-35% water change

That’s a start. Really, we’re not trying to come down on you.  If you want help, we can work through what would work for you.  Minimize water changes. Keep your animals healthy. We want you to stay keeping fish. Lots of know how here. How to do it simple and easy. We want you to enjoy your fish. And not work yourself to death doing it. It’s a learning curve. You can do it. The thing right now is to eliminate all ammonia. It really is poisonous to fish. Prime is only a band aid. It won’t work for you long term. Btw, platys are a great choice for fish fun. I have a dedicated tank just for them. 

• Thanks 1

Guys a mystery was solved today. So I kept seeing loads of platy poop and I wasn’t feeding hardly anything (due to tank being new) well they’ve been picking that white goop from my big piece of spider wood and eating it! And thank you so much for everyone’s help I got sold an established sponge filter so I think I’m ok now. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 6:57 AM, SwimmingBlueberry said:

Guys a mystery was solved today. So I kept seeing loads of platy poop and I wasn’t feeding hardly anything (due to tank being new) well they’ve been picking that white goop from my big piece of spider wood and eating it! And thank you so much for everyone’s help I got sold an established sponge filter so I think I’m ok now. 

My platys poop constantly. They just be like that. If they're eating white food then their poops will be white but usually white or clear poops are cause for concern.