Kribensis and dwarf gourami

On 6/18/2024 at 2:04 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

I’m thinking of adding both a dwarf gourami and a kribensis cichlid to my 29g community tank. Any reason to think those two would not get along with each other?

Kribensis are very aggressive if you got a pair and they spawned. @AtomicSunfish

Edited by Tlindsey

I have one male moliwe krib in my community tank and he is very peaceful versus everyone in my experience. Even towards other cichlids. A pair is not a good idea for sure.

I would hesistate dwarf gourami and lean towards more peaceful and healthier alternatives. Thicklips/red robins or honeys are much better options for similar size

• Like 3

Both are aggressive towards similarly sized fish. Apistogramma and honey gourami, which are both a bit more “peaceful” didn’t work in my experience. 

It’s doable but asking for trouble IMO

Especially with a pair of kribs

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 3

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Yes, this would just be a lone kribensis, and not a mated pair. And yes, I’m wary of dwarf gourami iridovirus, too. Cichlids and gouramis aren’t necessarily a good combination. Sounds like a risk. I’ll think of something else. 😉

On 6/19/2024 at 12:40 AM, AtomicSunfish said:

Sounds like a risk. I’ll think of something else. 😉

You could try. Not everything is set in stone. Just have a backup plan. It depends on the personality of the animals. I have a honey gourami with a betta. And pandas. An oto. And the last neon. Shouldn’t work. But the betta and honey ignore each other. Completely against the rules. But I had/have alternatives if/when it doesn’t work. 

• Like 1

I have ended up with a single female Krib in tank on its own, she will harass and kill anything. So feel free to try but be ready with a back up plan. 

Oh and I think male Kribs are little more chill than the females if kept alone but that is just anecdotal and I was comparing them to a psycho  fish. 

• Like 3

I had two male honey gouramis and a M:F pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides (among other fishes) in a 55 gallon. The only time they even paid each other any attention was when the female was guarding fry, but the gouramis weren't brave enough/dumb enough to try her, anyway. Granted, the success was probably attributable to having four feet of swimming space, but still...

• Like 2