Any suggestions for my Dutch/Nature style aquarium

I made a small template on Scape It and I'm not sure how it is. Some of the plants are look-a-likes to the actual plant. Can you guys give me some suggestions and remarks for me? Thank you in advanceScreenshot2024-06-16at10_21_13AM.png.26a89ab14a6954efa4ceb74dfa4a898d.png

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:21 AM, Shrimpee said:

I made a small template on Scape It and I'm not sure how it is. Some of the plants are look-a-likes to the actual plant. Can you guys give me some suggestions and remarks for me? Thank you in advanceScreenshot2024-06-16at10_21_13AM.png.26a89ab14a6954efa4ceb74dfa4a898d.png

That looks good to me but I only have experience with Java FernJava Moss, and  Anubius.

On 6/16/2024 at 10:21 AM, Shrimpee said:

When I think "Dutch-style" I think plant density, first and foremost. With that in mind, I think I'd shimmy the (what looks to me) rotala, which is currently slightly right of center, to the right a bit, then squeeze in some other stem between it and (what looks to me) the sword. Some contrasting, so maybe something green with thicker or rounder leaves?

But it looks really good as-is!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:03 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

When I think "Dutch-style" I think plant density, first and foremost. With that in mind, I think I'd shimmy the (what looks to me) rotala, which is currently slightly right of center, to the right a bit, then squeeze in some other stem between it and (what looks to me) the sword. Some contrasting, so maybe something green with thicker or rounder leaves?

Do you think a darker green sword echinodorus plant in the background would be better? If so which one?

On 6/16/2024 at 11:46 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

Cool app... I've got to try that one. 

To my eye, the wood/rocks are a bit too biased to the right side. Can you alter the template to show the hardscape & crypt in swapped positions?

HereScreenshot2024-06-16at12_34_12PM.png.58d3c6f5b995d84f889dadcc545606be.pngScape It is really nice. You can just search it up on google and you can just start scaping without any account. It even tells you the lighting conditions, fertilizers, Co2, and substrate amounts for the selected tank!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:03 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Do you think this would be a good plant in between the rotala and sword? Alternanthera Bettzickiana GreenScreenshot2024-06-16at12_45_41PM.png.2be47f2ff471be7196ca88d91cfdf6a1.png

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:46 PM, Shrimpee said:

Do you think this would be a good plant in between the rotala and sword? Alternanthera Bettzickiana GreenScreenshot2024-06-16at12_45_41PM.png.2be47f2ff471be7196ca88d91cfdf6a1.png

Yes, that's a nice contrast with the rotala, in terms of color and in leaf texture and shape. But your point about the green-ness of the sword is good, too. Maybe go sword-rotala-A. bettzickiana, left-to-right? Since the rotala would contrast with both plants?

No reds should be against the walls. The street is too center and needs to disappear into or begin at the rule of thirds. Move the Sword right and street disappear left of it. Do not have a straight line of plants across the front of the tank. The wood should be considered as a plant and as such should have green behind or in font of it. Keep the red plant count lower and only use 3 plants per foot of tank length. Use lighter green plants in the corners and using curtain plants adds depth to the scape.

Everything I mention here is heavily waited to true Dutch rules and can definitely be bent for "Dutch Style." That said, keep the fish count on the minimal side and let the plants be the focus. Here's a kick ars link to look at for true Dutch and just bend it to what you like as "Dutch Style." Also focus heavily on not having similar leaf shape next to each other. This is harder than it seems.

https://online.fliphtml5.com/hwppk/nvsi/#p=3 Book mark this, it's amazing.

Here is one of the best "garden Style" tanks I've ever seen. "Dutch Style" is not the best term IMO.

firstplaceaquascape.png.d2e6d22baf6dd72ad822576c953fffe7.png

Here was my second place in the AGA, this is more true Dutch but has many problems and lacks reds.

IMG_0052.JPG.e4eec004dabaae260eadf78e4cd8d7b2.JPG

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 6/16/2024 at 9:35 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

No reds should be against the walls. The street is too center and needs to disappear into or begin at the rule of thirds. Move the Sword right and street disappear left of it. Do not have a straight line of plants across the front of the tank. The wood should be considered as a plant and as such should have green behind or in font of it. Keep the red plant count lower and only use 3 plants per foot of tank length. Use lighter green plants in the corners and using curtain plants adds depth to the scape.

Everything I mention here is heavily waited to true Dutch rules and can definitely be bent for "Dutch Style." That said, keep the fish count on the minimal side and let the plants be the focus. Here's a kick ars link to look at for true Dutch and just bend it to what you like as "Dutch Style." Also focus heavily on not having similar leaf shape next to each other. This is harder than it seems.

https://online.fliphtml5.com/hwppk/nvsi/#p=3 Book mark this, it's amazing.

Here is one of the best "garden Style" tanks I've ever seen. "Dutch Style" is not the best term IMO.

firstplaceaquascape.png.d2e6d22baf6dd72ad822576c953fffe7.png

Here was my second place in the AGA, this is more true Dutch but has many problems and lacks reds.

IMG_0052.JPG.e4eec004dabaae260eadf78e4cd8d7b2.JPG

Hope this helps.

I made some slight changes but I'm not going to do exact Dutch and more so Dutch-inspired as of the plants, streets, and variations. I moved the sword to the right a bit and changed up some positioning. I might keep the basics of my layout the same but I will tweak it if necessary. Here it is as of now.Screenshot2024-06-16at11_33_14PM.png.e9dde0217ac57896489442ee746d80de.png

• Like 1

a) I don't think the tank will ever look anything like the drawing, so as far as models go, it's only helpful to get an idea of how things are going to be placed and then the vaguest idea of how it will actually look

b) Plants take and create space.  The contrast between open space and greenscape is one of the things that makes tanks visually appealing, and as well they give room for fish to interact and thus interesting fish behaviors, again increasing visual appeal of the tank.  So theres a little bit of that going on with the short carpets, but I would try to accentuate it with purposeful placement of tall plants (so they come out towards the front instead of just lining up along the back, thus more clearly delineating the open spaces along the length of the tank) combined with hardscape placement, using the carpets to accentuate the open spaces much like meadows.   

Dont forget about surface plants (either floaters or tall leaners or lily pads) which add another dimension to the enclosure of space, and make cautious fish extra cozy and happy.

Edited by daggaz
  • Like 1