New to Cherry Shrimp

I've kept saltwater shrimp but newbie to freshwater species. I did add a group of Ghost shrimp a few months ago but lost all but one. Bought 6 cherry shrimp 2 weeks ago lost one which I noticed had the ring of death. Probably lost one not acclimating correctly. I've read that Ghost shrimp could be a issue. Not really caring about the cherry shrimp breeding because they are in a 40 gallon breeder with a pair of small freshwater pipefish. 

Edited by Tlindsey

In my experience ghost shrimp are always a toss up as to whether they will survive or not. There are so many species ranging from freshwater to brackish that you never really know which species you have unless you collect them yourself. The cherry shrimp in your aquarium could be an excellent source of food for your pipe fish if you are successful in keeping them and them reproducing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 1:38 PM, T. Payne said:

In my experience ghost shrimp are always a toss up as to whether they will survive or not. There are so many species ranging from freshwater to brackish that you never really know which species you have unless you collect them yourself. The cherry shrimp in your aquarium could be an excellent source of food for your pipe fish if you are successful in keeping them and them reproducing.

I'll definitely read the information.

Thanks for sharing! @JettsPapa

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

If you can get the shrimp to breed you'll be fine. Once you get that second generation that grows up in your tank they'll be perfectly happy. The females have to molt tho so it can take a little while depending on how they're eating and water conditions. 

A Lot of people new to cherry shrimp don't get any males because they're so small. If you only have 6 shrimp this is certainly possible.

• Thanks 1