Green Spot Algea

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts about this type of algea?  Apparently I have it.  From what I understand it is either a light problem or a nutrient problem.  I have my light on 50% for 5 hours from 4:00 PM to 9:00PM.  It has been that way for almost a year, although this is the first Spring I have had my tank and the light has changed I am sure.  There was also a suggestion to treat it with Liquid Carbon to clean the plants.  I recently lost a couple of shrimp, could this be the reason?IMG_1745.jpg.5b81a9f8b38f7c11869eb3bfdd867c4a.jpg

Edited by Little Guys

Probably not the reason you lost shrimp. Nothing harmful about green spot. Actually has some benefits. Most algae’s do. Just unsightly for us. I’d keep an eye on your nitrate levels. Around 10 should reduce some of it. Nitrates act as fertilizer for green plants. Including algae 

• Like 2

I had it on my Anubias leaves a while back. Unsure what causes it but my Nerite snail does a great job cleaning it up. I doubt the algae was the reason your shrimp passed. Algae is usually beneficial to tanks. It doesn’t look pretty but it has several benefits.

I bet there are other forum users out there who can tell you what causes it/other ways to get rid of it 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...