What is this?

This poor tank has been somewhat neglected of late. I'm debating breaking it down for a while or trying to revive it. There is a strange algae, or at least what I think is algae growing in a think purplish black mat in the center of it. Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what it might be? 

20240603_195407.jpg

20240603_195402.jpg

20240603_195354.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you! 

On 6/3/2024 at 9:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Look into blue green algae

It's a type of bacterial issue / algae.

Thank you!

On 6/3/2024 at 9:29 PM, T. Payne said:

Appears to be cyanobacteria, vacuum it all out and do a good water change. If it continues to grow I would black out the tank for a week.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2024 at 10:29 PM, T. Payne said:

Appears to be cyanobacteria, vacuum it all out and do a good water change. If it continues to grow I would black out the tank for a week.

Not sure this works for Cyanobacteria. The only for sure was is to treat it like a bacterial infection. And use erythromycin in the tank. Either maracyn or EM erythromycin. 

@Tony s has worked for me sseveral times throughout the years. Not always, as cyanobacteria can be difficult to get rid of. But, i prefer this method instead of antibiotics that damage the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 12:36 AM, T. Payne said:

i prefer this method instead of antibiotics that damage the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium.

Agree with that completely. I’ve only ever been successful with antibiotics. Even in weak doses like in slime out. 

Actually still not completely done with it, or something. Turns into a hard leathery coating. Can’t seem to shake it.

Darn stuff has completely covered my mopani. Even coats snail shells 😟

• Thanks 1