Tetra Whipser Pf 10

Hello everyone,

I had a question about my filter / filter cartridges. I have the tetra whisper PF 10 and my filter cartridge is getting dirty / time for a new one (according to my LFS, its been 3-4 weeks since i got it). I read somewhere that you should never change filter cartridges however, and that you should only rinse them in water so that you can preserve all the beneficial bacteria. Is this true? Or was that referring to the black bio sponge thing that sits in front of the cartridge?

Thanks 😀

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 4:50 PM, Mordecai13 said:

Thanks! What do u mean more sponge? As in completely ditch the cartridge from now on? Where would I get one of these extra sponges?

Yes, completely ditch the cartridge. All those are, are a money making attempt by the maker of the filter. Throw it away (which doesn’t make sense to throw your beneficial bacteria away), but more. Throw it away, buy more. The company is the only one winning by selling you more cartridges. 

You can buy sponge pad from Aquarium Coop, Amazon, or big box retail stores. Cut it to fit the filter and you’re set for life. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

Posted (edited)

If there's room what I would do it put a sponge in next to the cartridge and let it run for several weeks.  During that time the BB should seed into the sponge.  Then you can ditch the cartridge.

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 7:00 PM, Mordecai13 said:

Sounds great , thanks again. Would throwing away my current cartridge then ruin my cycle / beneficial bacteria / would it set me back?

No, you would put it (if room) behind the cartridge for around a week or 2, then ditch the old one. No bacteria lost. 

On 5/30/2024 at 7:02 PM, Yoshi said:

If there's room what I would do it put a sponge in next to the cartridge and let it run for several week.  During that time the BB should seed into the sponge.  Than you can ditch the cartridge.

You bear me to it, and took the words out of my mouth 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 7:09 PM, Mordecai13 said:

Sounds great, thank you—-

so just to be clear I would throw it behind this cartridge? Do you guys think that’s enough room?

IMG_1380.jpeg

Should be, with most you can cut to your own desired shape, to fit your filter. I shoved a media bag much thicker then that gap with crushed coral. It will work, just check the width of the one you want.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:07 PM, Mordecai13 said:

Hello everyone,

I had a question about my filter / filter cartridges. I have the tetra whisper PF 10 and my filter cartridge is getting dirty / time for a new one (according to my LFS, its been 3-4 weeks since i got it). I read somewhere that you should never change filter cartridges however, and that you should only rinse them in water so that you can preserve all the beneficial bacteria. Is this true? Or was that referring to the black bio sponge thing that sits in front of the cartridge?

Thanks 😀

Your Choice!  The LFS would prefer that you change the filter cartridge, so that you will buy more of them. How often you do this is determined by the bio-lode in your aquarium, not the calendar.  You replace/wash the cartridge when the water starts to bypass the filter or when you notice the flow decreasing. One advantage to the bio-bags is that they can be removed and rinsed by hand.  You can rinse the bag in water change water and put it back, just like the sponge, or you can use a hard stream of water to clean the bag, and then rinse it in the change water. Rinsing will extend the lifespan of the biobags to months instead of weeks. I would rinse the sponge in the front only when needed, and on a different day. This will help preserve the beneficial bacteria.  Yes, you can hotrod the filter with biosponges, etc., again, your choice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1