Just another Floridian...

Kara C

I have been lurking and randomly commenting on youtube and the facebook page (under my husbands name, I dont have a social media lol) for a little while. I love all things nature and I especially love native fish and plants. I like to grow the weeds and keep baitfish according to my friends and family. I can't remember a time in the last 15 years that I didn't have at least one betta. 5 years ago I started learning more about keeping fish, but didn't go down the rabbit hole till 2 1/2 years ago.... In our main living area we now have 2-- 75 gallon planted community tanks, a 10 gallon with black mollies, and a 6.5 gallon betta and cherry shrimp tank. On our front porch is a 40 gallon water garden (tub) that houses Florida flagfish and now white cloud minnows. There is also a 20 gallon tall fry and plant grow out tank in the garage... With plans for more tubs in the spring. At any given time there could be a 10 gallon or less quarantine tank anywhere in my house. I think I've developed a bit of a problem....

20201116_104813.jpg

20201026_220025_HDR.jpg

20201026_201023_HDR.jpg

20201004_163848_HDR.jpg

20200927_201614_HDR.jpg

Edited by Kara C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi my name is Amy, and I too, have a problem. Only 2 tanks currently but on the way to many more once we move in about a year.

Your pond/tub looks so cool! I have been in GA and it would have been so nice to know about back when the pandemic started so it could have been my project. I assume they are low maintenance but is there anything you'd say is vital to having it outside?

• Thanks 1

@SpiritLiefe The comfy chair is a great suggestion! Plants shade and pulling out nutrients and if the tub is in a hot spot maybe an airstone or something like a fountain to break the surface and help dissipate the heat some. Mine being where it is, there's a plug nearby so I went to lowes and got a $25-30 container fountain pump and made a spitting frog. Dollar tree usually has a cute ceramic frog in spring/summer that you don't even have to drill a hole in. If you get cup plants from lowes/home depot, try to find ones that are already sprouting. The first 3 I grabbed still haven't grown, but the next 2 that were sprouts are doing great. I also threw in some tank plant trimmings. Green water is extremely helpful. Started my tub at the beginning of the pandemic with thick green water, it went clear within a week of the fall equinox but the fish are still doing well. 

Edited by Kara C
Grammar error
  • Like 1