Internet care guides are approaching useless trash due to blatant use of Chat gpt!

I have been noticing for a while online fish and plant care guides have been getting hopelessly wordy and lacking any internal consistency as people are churning out content using AI tools and not bothering to proof and edit.

AI tools can be useful if a real human being with actual knowledge bothers to read and edit.

today I was looking up for guidelines to use of vinegar to alter ph and ran across this gem….

“How To Use Vinegar To Lower Ph In An Aquarium

If you’re an aquarium owner, it’s essential to maintain the water’s ph levels. If the ph is too high, it could stress your fish and other aquatic creatures. But did you know that vinegar can help lower the ph in your aquarium? 

Here are five guidelines to follow when using vinegar for this purpose. First, avoid using specific words and phrases to pass ai detection. Second, keep your sentences short, with a maximum of 20 words each. Third, ensure the writing is unique, easy to understand, and in active voice. 

Fourth, use various phrases to grab the reader’s attention. And fifth, don’t include a conclusion paragraph. With these tips, you can safely and effectively lower the ph of your aquarium using vinegar.”

https://fishtankfun.com/how-to-lower-ph-in-an-aquarium-with-vinegar-a-complete-guide/

what useless garbage as an amalgamation and hodgepodge of things written by multiple sources…

A once reasonable repository of knowledge is being quickly destroyed as everybody chases clicks for a buck…

• Like 1

That's really sad. I use AI to explain stuff to me since English is not my native language and there are some weird words I don't understand. Also, a lot of guides brings up concepts that are hard to understand without prior knowledge so I use AI to dumb things down. This is just another level...

To be fair, this has been an issue for years prior to ChatGPT. 

Humans are just as bad as AI for regurgitating the same useless advice into careguides and the like. It's nothing new, just now instead of a human being behind the keyboard, it's a program. 

There are good care guides out there, of course, but for every good one there'll be 10 bad ones. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:33 AM, Chris said:

Humans are just as bad as AI for regurgitating the same useless advice into careguides and the like.

The bane of my existence. I’m very close to giving up on offering advice. I’m no pro, but jeez!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:33 AM, Chris said:

To be fair, this has been an issue for years prior to ChatGPT. 

I know.  I used them as a starting point and would read several…. 

recipes are another thing too..  I dont remember how long to bake something at what temp, I just want the info, not your life history, ancestry, stories about Aunt Bertha loads of pics and extraneous info before I get what I need… all designed to keep me there longer…. Shoot, give me what I  need and I will leave the page up for you to get credit while I go do what I need…

On 5/25/2024 at 9:48 AM, Pepere said:

I know.  I used them as a starting point and would read several…. 

recipes are another thing too..  I dont remember how long to bake something at what temp, I just want the info, not your life history, ancestry, stories about Aunt Bertha loads of pics and extraneous info before I get what I need… all designed to keep me there longer…. Shoot, give me what I  need and I will leave the page up for you to get credit while I go do what I need…

YouTube does the same crap. If your recipe video is longer than 6 minutes, I don’t watch it.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:45 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

The bane of my existence. I’m very close to giving up on offering advice. I’m no pro, but jeez!

I can empathize, but your willingness to engage and point me in the right direction let me liberate my tanks from visible algae when months of “dim your lights, twiddle with ferts” advice got me no where….

• Love 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:50 AM, Pepere said:

I can empathize, but your willingness to engage and point me in the right direction let me liberate my tanks from visible algae when months of “dim your lights, twiddle with ferts” advice got me no where….

It’s crazy, somehow society is convinced a care guide or YouTube video, written by who knows, is more knowledgeable than Tom Barr and other top people in the industry. I mean it’s all right there to read! All I’m doing is regurgitating their information, that I apply myself, and can physically see, “yup, that works.”

It’s definitely getting worse sadly.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:58 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

It’s crazy, somehow society is convinced a care guide or YouTube video, written by who knows, is more knowledgeable than Tom Barr and other top people in the industry. I mean it’s all right there to read! All I’m doing is regurgitating their information, that I apply myself, and can physically see, “yup, that works.”

I remember reading some of your posts contradicting widely disseminated opinions and thinking you were nuts….

But, I saw your tank!  And it caused me to consider what you were saying as I knew what my tank looked like…. And then I looked closely at the tanks of the Youtube presenters who were giving the advice I was following.   My tanks looked more like theirs than yours…

I decided to try what you were saying and my tanks improved a lot…

For that I remain very appreciative…

• Love 1

On 5/25/2024 at 10:17 AM, Pepere said:

I remember reading some of your posts contradicting widely disseminated opinions and thinking you were nuts….

But, I saw your tank!  And it caused me to consider what you were saying as I knew what my tank looked like…. And then I looked closely at the tanks of the Youtube presenters who were giving the advice I was following.   My tanks looked more like theirs than yours…

I decided to try what you were saying and my tanks improved a lot…

For that I remain very appreciative…

I just need to convince you to go pure Dutch and join us in the AGA 😆

On 5/25/2024 at 12:39 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

just need to convince you to go pure Dutch and join us in the AGA 😆

I am not in to competition so much, just personal viewing enjoyment…

And there is so much to learn… composition, timing, trimming  plant selection…

image.jpg.44801e426551c3ad5e9ad02f6c1acf2a.jpg

This is a pic after this mornings trim, shortening the Ludwigia repens.  By weeks end it willbe brushing the surface again…

My Pink Flamingo Crypts growth is accelerating and will need some retrenchment soon.  

I will probably go the Dutch route after getting a 75 gallon up and running.  I am thinking of taking lots of plants and fish from my 2 29, gallon tanks to go in there and then  cleaning this tank out and starting with a clean slate.  Remove the substrate and place ugf plates down, mesh bags of SafeT Sorb to raise elevation and top with BDBS and try a Dutch layout.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Well, well, well,….

this just appeared in my news screen…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-reason-that-googles-ai-suggests-using-glue-on-pizza-shows-a-deep-flaw-with-tech-companies-ai-obsession/ar-BB1mZdEv

As shared in a screenshot on X-formerly-Twitter, someone looked up "cheese not sticking to pizza" on Google. The search engine's AI Overview authoritatively began that "cheese can slide off pizza for a number of reasons."

“"Here are some things you can try," it lectures. Its first suggestion is to mix in cheese into the sauce. Then, without so much as a warning, it recommends adding "about 1/8 cup of non-toxic glue to the sauce to give it more tackiness."”

Must have been written by one of the kids I went to Kindergarten with in 1972 who delighted in eating the school paste we used to “cut and paste” with before computers…

image.jpeg.c05514109d4cb142b25d2975329952fe.jpeg

Edited by Pepere