Nano fish suggestions

I initially wanted to house dwarf rasboras together with some neocaridina (in a couple of months) in my 25L (7 gallons) when the tank has been emptied of current inhabitants. But endlers guppies really caught me eyes and I started thinking that I could just have a group of male ones due to their prolific nature of breeding. Apparently endlers guppies have a lifespann of only 1-2 years? I'd atleast like a fish that will live for 3 years.

Do you all have any suggestions for pretty nanofish with a lifespann of 3 or more years for my 7 gallon tank?

Before making any decision I want to explore my options 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:16 AM, VanDogh said:

I initially wanted to house dwarf rasboras together with some neocaridina (in a couple of months) in my 25L (7 gallons) when the tank has been emptied of current inhabitants. But endlers guppies really caught me eyes and I started thinking that I could just have a group of male ones due to their prolific nature of breeding. Apparently endlers guppies have a lifespann of only 1-2 years? I'd atleast like a fish that will live for 3 years.

Do you all have any suggestions for pretty nanofish with a lifespann of 3 or more years for my 7 gallon tank?

Before making any decision I want to explore my options 

Long fin White Cloud Mountain minnows. I say this a lot because I have 5 of the normal ones, they are so cool looking, the gold ones are so cool looking as well!The long fin ones are awesome, may not look like a nano fish but they are so hardy, you can have 5-7 of em in a 7 gallon. They can live 3-5 years as well on average  @VanDogh

Edited by Whitecloud09
Typos typos typos…..
  • Like 3

Wow they look gorgeous, especially the long fin ones, @Whitecloud09! They seem to be less common in my country, at least the ones with long fins so I will definitely be on a lookout for those! If I had red cherry or bloody mary or any variant of red for my neocaridina they will even match the minnows haha

• Like 1

If you’re looking for more of a “wet pet” and willing to feed live or frozen foods every day (definitely not for everybody), pea puffers are awesome. Definitely more work than your average school of Rasboras or tetras but they’re awesome.

It sounds like you might not be interested anymore, but Chili Rasboras are awesome little fish that would do really well in that tank.

Green Neon Tetras are like a smaller version of neons but with less red. Lots of color in a small package.

CPD’s (celestial pearl danios) are shy but in a heavily planted tank they’re awesome.

There are lots of other small bodied tetra and rasbora options that offer a lot of color.

Keep in mind most schooling fish don’t really live more than 3 years anyways, so if you’re loving the endlers you can still get a lot of enjoyment out of them! 🙂

• Like 2

On 5/24/2024 at 9:16 AM, VanDogh said:

But endlers guppies really caught me eyes and I started thinking that I could just have a group of male ones due to their prolific nature of breeding. Apparently endlers guppies have a lifespann of only 1-2 years? I'd atleast like a fish that will live for 3 years.

I say that you don't give up on Endlers just yet. They are an amazing fish, very hardy, cute, and easy to keep. With good care, their lifespans can range up to 5 years. 1-2 years is only their average lifespan. 

https://www.aquariumnexus.com/endler-guppy/

Also, this website says that they can live for 1-3 years on average, so if you are looking for lifespan longer than 3 years, Endler Guppies are still a possible option to look into.

• Like 2

What’s the dimensions of this tank, I love white clouds but I might be hesitant to put them in a tank that small, they really like length, more than your average small schooler, they are always darting back and forth doing this little sparring display with each other. 

Some small fish I like to look into; Pygmy cories, dwarf sunfish, scarlet (or black) badis, crocodile toothpick (high maintenance, but super cool) pea puffers, sparkling gourami, stone anchor catfish, rhino gobies, to name a few.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2024 at 8:17 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

What’s the dimensions of this tank

25cm x 25cm x 40cm (it's a long tank and not a tall one) in inches Google says its 10 x 10 x 16 (approximately, I rounded off some decimals)

Oh those sounds like really cool fish! There are so many species I have never heard of, this is so exciting.

Regarding pygme Cory's, they're adorable but I'm not sure how well they would fit with a colony of neo shrimps, both competing for the same bottom space. Same with stone anchor catfish though I've never heard of them. They look so cool and I would love to keep them in another tank 😀

Sparkling gouramies, are they not too big? And having more than one could trigger spawning which triggers aggression or am I mistaken?

I will look up all the species you listed, thank you for so many interesting species!

On 5/24/2024 at 8:05 PM, Guupy42 said:

I say that you don't give up on Endlers just yet. They are an amazing fish, very hardy, cute, and easy to keep. With good care, their lifespans can range up to 5 years. 1-2 years is only their average lifespan. 

Since it's a tiny tank of 7 gallons I could not keep females and males together because they breed a lot. If they die so soon, in worst case every year, I will have to buy new males all the time and this is what makes me a bit skeptical 🤔 If they can live for 5 years I am certainly open to having these pretty fishes!

On 5/24/2024 at 7:49 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

If you’re looking for more of a “wet pet” and willing to feed live or frozen foods every day (definitely not for everybody), pea puffers are awesome.

They're so adorable! Though, I have gotten the impression that they are quite aggressive, especially in small spaces? I am also not sure if I am experienced enough to keep them but I would love to have them.

On 5/24/2024 at 7:49 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

It sounds like you might not be interested anymore, but Chili Rasboras are awesome little fish that would do really well in that tank.

Nah I am open to all fish. Just want to explore all my options since there are so many fish I have never even heard of and I have already had a small school of dwarf rasboras. Chili rasboras seem to be more vibrant than dwarf rasboras or maybe the pictures on google are photoshopped/color enhanced 😉

Thanks I'll check them out! I love me some galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios. Not gonna lie though, I've been thinking of have a massive school of them in my 450L (100-something gallon?) tank but it all depends on what other species I will keep there (the tank is empty atm) so for now it's just a thought.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 3:23 PM, VanDogh said:

25cm x 25cm x 40cm (it's a long tank and not a tall one) in inches Google says its 10 x 10 x 16 (approximately, I rounded off some decimals)

Oh those sounds like really cool fish! There are so many species I have never heard of, this is so exciting.

Regarding pygme Cory's, they're adorable but I'm not sure how well they would fit with a colony of neo shrimps, both competing for the same bottom space. Same with stone anchor catfish though I've never heard of them. They look so cool and I would love to keep them in another tank 😀

Sparkling gouramies, are they not too big? And having more than one could trigger spawning which triggers aggression or am I mistaken?

I will look up all the species you listed, thank you for so many interesting species!

Since it's a tiny tank of 7 gallons I could not keep females and males together because they breed a lot. If they die so soon, in worst case every year, I will have to buy new males all the time and this is what makes me a bit skeptical 🤔 If they can live for 5 years I am certainly open to having these pretty fishes!

They're so adorable! Though, I have gotten the impression that they are quite aggressive, especially in small spaces? I am also not sure if I am experienced enough to keep them but I would love to have them.

Nah I am open to all fish. Just want to explore all my options since there are so many fish I have never even heard of and I have already had a small school of dwarf rasboras. Chili rasboras seem to be more vibrant than dwarf rasboras or maybe the pictures on google are photoshopped/color enhanced 😉

Thanks I'll check them out! I love me some galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios. Not gonna lie though, I've been thinking of have a massive school of them in my 450L (100-something gallon?) tank but it all depends on what other species I will keep there (the tank is empty atm) so for now it's just a thought.

As far as the Cories and Anchor cats, I’ve never personally kept them but I do see them kept with cherry shrimp all the time, you might lose some babies but adult shrimp would be too big to be bothered. And the sparkling gouramis are tiny, 1-2”, and are different in personality than most gouramis and prefer to be in groups from my understanding.

• Like 1

Pea puffers are kinda aggressive, I say only one in a 7g. They cannot be kept with shrimp unless like what Cory said in one of his vids on best nano fish that you “might have a shrimp that is you know a kung  fu master fighting him off left and right”. Lol. Oh my bad, your not in the US @VanDogh correct? Sorry about that, but maybe you can find the golden ones 🤔. Anyway, you could get a betta and some snails. A unique looking one, there are some awesome looking bettas out there, just a thought….

On 5/24/2024 at 3:23 PM, VanDogh said:

Idk if they are or not, but honey gourami would be sweet, they could go good with some cherry shrimp or something like that, but they might go after baby shrimp, something to keep in mind. A duo of the honeys would cool, but idk if a 7g would maybe be to small?? Maybe someone will answer that Q right there.

On 5/24/2024 at 2:17 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I love white clouds but I might be hesitant to put them in a tank that small, they really like length, more than your average small schooler, they are always darting back and forth doing this little sparring display with each other. 

I thought that too, but I have seen a lot of people keep them in even a 5g, but most people have mixed opinions concerning that, so I am not going to start something there. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:18 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

As far as the Cories and Anchor cats, I’ve never personally kept them but I do see them kept with cherry shrimp all the time, you might lose some babies but adult shrimp would be too big to be bothered. 

I see! I was mostly concerned with space, since both creatures are bottom dwellers so a better dynamic would be getting mid- to upper level fish

On 5/24/2024 at 10:18 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

And the sparkling gouramis are tiny, 1-2”, and are different in personality than most gouramis and prefer to be in groups from my understanding.

That's interesting, I was actually considering adding them to my wip black water biotope but am a bit hesitant. Maybe I could keep them here. So many options 😀

On 5/24/2024 at 10:30 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Pea puffers are kinda aggressive, I say only one in a 7g. They cannot be kept with shrimp unless like what Cory said in one of his vids on best nano fish that you “might have a shrimp that is you know a kung  fu master fighting him off left and right”

Then maybe they won't be optimal for this particular tank. For now I have 4 tanks... but I so badly want to get more so I will be able to get a betta and now I want a puffer. My partner won't allow me to have more tanks for now so maybe in a distant future 🫠

Wait, can they be kept in a community tank? 🤔

Lol. Oh my bad, your not in the US @VanDogh correct? Sorry about that, but maybe you can find the golden ones

No worries! Yeah I would guess the pet stores here doesn't leave nearly the amount of stocking and options you guys in the US have 😉 Fortunally fish keeping is popular here and there are many hobbyists breeding unusual types of fish,  if I am lucky and keep looking I might find a long fin one! 

Anyway, you could get a betta and some snails. A unique looking one, there are some awesome looking bettas out there, just a thought….

Yeah, I really want a beta someday but it feels like a gamble, I've heard that some are fine with shrimp and some see red and obliterate any and all things they come across 😓 Most likely I'll have a 5th tank someday... and that one I will dedicate to the betta.

but honey gourami would be sweet,

I have actually already considered this but I've been told they're too big and that only nanofish are small enough. Some say keeping fish in 7 gallons is borderline abuse and you can only keep snails and shrimp. Though, I notice you guys are a bit more lenient here which I don't find bad 🙂 Animal welfare is pretty good here and people have stricter opinions on what fish can go in which tank and I sometimes find it a bit exaggerated, for example: they say recommended minimum tank size for clown loaches is 700L (186 gallons) and I shouldn't keep clown loaches in my 450L (119 gallons) tank because it's too small.

I have seen a lot of people keep them in even a 5g, most people have mixed opinions concerning that, so I am not going to start something there. 

Yeah it's sooo different depending on who you're talking to. I feel the same tbh

Edited by VanDogh
  • Like 1

Sorry that you’re being bombarded with info.😂

Only one pea puffer would be suitable for a 7g, so not as exciting but still a really cool fish.

Chili Rasboras are definitely more vibrant than most other dwarf rasbora species. When they’re colored up the males are super duper fire red!

I would probably pass on a honey gourami since I think they prefer to be in something 10g or larger. Unsure on sparkling gourami, but I believe someone on the forum kept a small group (pair or trio, I believe) in something like a 5g. So I think it could be done, but keep in mind they are micro predators so they will most likely gobble up your shrimplets! 
A long tank like that is actually a great size, however. I think a lot of species prefer the length to school back and forth in so you’re in luck there!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 1:23 PM, VanDogh said:

Chili rasboras seem to be more vibrant than dwarf rasboras or maybe the pictures on google are photoshopped/color enhanced 😉

My Chili’s look fantastic in their Blackwater tank. They just take time to grow and color up. 

I currently have 15 in my Blackwater tank, and they look awesome. Super vibrant in that darker environment. I recently bought another 10 to beef up the school, and they’re tiiiiiiny, and basically with no color. When you see them in the fish store you go “there’s no way that’s the same fish”. The photos you’ve seen probably aren’t enhanced, they’re just fully grown and fully colored up. 

Here’s a picture I just snapped of mine:

IMG_7200.jpeg.d92bde954fb20ccacd2c8c988b0f4038.jpeg

And their friends in quarantine who are younger and not colored up yet:

IMG_7203.jpeg.d61c7813d5e36a71f370994cb12618f5.jpeg

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

On 5/25/2024 at 1:19 AM, EricksonAquatics said:

Sorry that you’re being bombarded with info.😂

Hahaha no worries, I find learning new stuff to be very fun!

Only one pea puffer would be suitable for a 7g, so not as exciting but still a really cool fish

Maybe some day in a distant future 😆 

but keep in mind they are micro predators so they will most likely gobble up your shrimplets!

Huh I see.. my plan was to keep a simple aquascape of cliffs and monte carlo carpet, mostly to show off the vibrant shrimp. If I get a sparkling gourami I propably need hiding spots for the shrimplets!

A long tank like that is actually a great size, however. I think a lot of species prefer the length to school back and forth in so you’re in luck there!

Nice! I then it's optimal for nano fish atleast 😀

On 5/25/2024 at 3:19 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My Chili’s look fantastic in their Blackwater tank. They just take time to grow and color up. 

I currently have 15 in my Blackwater tank, and they look awesome. Super vibrant in that darker environment. I recently bought another 10 to beef up the school, and they’re tiiiiiiny, and basically with no color. When you see them in the fish store you go “there’s no way that’s the same fish”. The photos you’ve seen probably aren’t enhanced, they’re just fully grown and fully colored up. 

Here’s a picture I just snapped of mine:

IMG_7200.jpeg.d92bde954fb20ccacd2c8c988b0f4038.jpeg

And their friends in quarantine who are younger and not colored up yet:

IMG_7203.jpeg.d61c7813d5e36a71f370994cb12618f5.jpeg

Wow they look absolutely stunning! Is black water and dark substrate necessary for them to color up so intensively? If I end up not keeping them in my 7 gallon, atleast they're a good candidate for replacing my serpae tetras in my 60-ish gallon tank due to their lovely, lovely color! I wanted a real nice red fish there and I find serpae tetras a bit too nippy

Amazing that the photos stay true to real life!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 7:19 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I would probably pass on a honey gourami since I think they prefer to be in something 10g or larger. Unsure on sparkling gourami, but I believe someone on the forum kept a small group (pair or trio, I believe) in something like a 5g. So I think it could be done, but keep in mind they are micro predators so they will most likely gobble up your shrimplets! 

Yes I was thinking it might be a little small for a honey. 3gs can make a difference. Yea they will eat your shrimp baby’s so kinda risking it. I saw someone do that before, it’s crazy, but the water changes per week would have to be huge, that is almost overstocking lol.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:39 AM, VanDogh said:

Hahaha no worries, I find learning new stuff to be very fun!

Maybe some day in a distant future 😆 

Huh I see.. my plan was to keep a simple aquascape of cliffs and monte carlo carpet, mostly to show off the vibrant shrimp. If I get a sparkling gourami I propably need hiding spots for the shrimplets!

Nice! I then it's optimal for nano fish atleast 😀

Wow they look absolutely stunning! Is black water and dark substrate necessary for them to color up so intensively? If I end up not keeping them in my 7 gallon, atleast they're a good candidate for replacing my serpae tetras in my 60-ish gallon tank due to their lovely, lovely color! I wanted a real nice red fish there and I find serpae tetras a bit too nippy

Amazing that the photos stay true to real life!

Yes Monte Carlo would be great, Java moss is the ultimate shrimp plant! So much coverage for the shrimplets!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:39 AM, VanDogh said:

Is black water and dark substrate necessary for them to color up so intensively?

To the best of my knowledge, no, it isn’t necessary at all! 

This tank started as a shrimp only tank. After a couple of years of that, I was ready for a change. I had seen Blackwater tanks and had been looking at botanicals. It sounded super fun, so I decided I wanted to try a Blackwater tank. 

From there, I wanted some fish that you might find in Blackwater environments, so I decided on Chili Rasboras and Green Neon Tetras. I’ll probably never do a full on biotope, but I thought the Chili’s and Green Neons would really pop against the dark water. And they do!

• Like 3

I think a good idea would be a honey gourami, but only if you have a decent size/amount of the shrimp you are raising.

Wouldn't want him to destroy the colony. Also, as mentioned before by someone else, I think a sparkling gourami could work as well.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:12 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yes Monte Carlo would be great, Java moss is the ultimate shrimp plant! So much coverage for the shrimplets!

Then it's a good thing I have almost too much Java moss!

On 5/25/2024 at 11:05 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

To the best of my knowledge, no, it isn’t necessary at all! 

I see, that's good! That's awesome! I am also planning to make a black water biotope (a full one I think) but that's in another tank when I have gathered enough material and such to scape. I plan to breed tucano tetras there but the rasboras could move in there if they leave fry alone 🙂

It must be a really nice combo with such vibrant colors of the tetras and rasboras together 

On 5/26/2024 at 12:37 AM, Kunersbettas said:

I think a good idea would be a honey gourami, but only if you have a decent size/amount of the shrimp you are raising.

Wouldn't want him to destroy the colony. Also, as mentioned before by someone else, I think a sparkling gourami could work as well.

Fair enough! If I end up getting any of the mentioned gouramies I'll make sure the shrimp colony is already established and thriving 

• Like 1