Hillstream loach loving a white worm.

I’ve heard many times hillstreams only eat algae and greens. I see them eating live proteins all the time. 

I finally caught one eating a white worm in a position I could get a good pic so wanted to share. Hillstreams for me live live bbs, grindle worms and white worms.  

On another note I’ve also seen them snacking on tiny wigglers not yet free swimming 🫤

his body moved over the worm he swam across the tank with to land here. 

398316B8-3772-4360-B2A6-C0DAB88DF039.jpeg

• Like 5

Oh my looks like a female you are lucky if im correct! Well from my prespective atleast i have 6 males lol but i feed bloodworms here and there and they love em same with daphnia and brine shrimp. They are such neat fish. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:04 PM, goodjobchamp said:

Oh my looks like a female you are lucky if im correct! Well from my prespective atleast i have 6 males lol but i feed bloodworms here and there and they love em same with daphnia and brine shrimp. They are such neat fish. 

Yes I have 1 female and 1 male. Occasionally they do t mind hanging together but not often. I always seem to need to house things with them so I have never seen babies. I don’t know if they are not breeding or babies are getting eaten. I don’t have the tank set right for breeding. I’m relocating my fishrooms to a larger room downstairs and I’m hoping that lets me set their tank correctly and not have roommates with them. 

• Like 1

I hope you do get them going that would be awesome. I always read to curve that behavior you need atleast 3 so they dont put too much attention to just one other hillstream. My 6 sometimes will sit on seperate rocks and just eyeball eachother enjoying the current. But when its feeding time they get a little spicy so i put a lot of bits of food so each one can find their own. @Guppysnail 

• Thanks 1